"Transpac" Style BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my Transpac. Especially since I can pack it with all my basic gear and my wifes snorkle gear and still make it under the 50 lbs bag limit. I want to see someone do that with a BP/W rig.

Also I have found the pocket/pouches from Dive Rite to be very modular and useful. Makes up for those missing BC pockets. Right now I have a 5 inch folding knife, dive table, small slate, SMB, safety sossage, signal mirror, whistle and strobe light on my rig without having to go to X shorts or thigh pockets. Only thing missing is a backup mask, which I am working on adding.

I have the OMS version (IQ pack) and I continue to use it for single tank dives without problems, but I recently got a good deal on this set:

TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE at Divers-Supply.com

and am spending more time in a normal BP/W rig. I was planning on just adding a hard plate to my IQ pack, but this item was on sale below the current price, so it was less than most wings alone. I agree with those above that if you are going to go for a BP/W style, get at least a trans-plate and keep your knighthawk as a backup.

I really like my Transpac. Especially since I can pack it with all my basic gear and my wifes snorkle gear and still make it under the 50 lbs bag limit. I want to see someone do that with a BP/W rig.

An aluminum or kydex plate is actually no heavier than the transpac, possibly lighter if the transpac is still wet.

I want to see someone do that with a BP/W rig.

Have dragged my BP/W rig - including weighted STA - and all my other scuba gear all over God's green apple and have never had a problem.

QUOTE]

50lbs for one set of basic gear and one snorkel set?

that's actually not very light. I typically stay in this range for both my and my wifes dive gear. I have a BP/W w/ complete SS hog harness

Thanks to all for your suggestions, ideas and opinions.

My Knighthawk is still in excellent shape, albeit a little snug. I have decided to keep it and added a cummerbun extension which basically turns my "large" into an "XL".

Took the plunge yesterday and picked up a new Dive Rite S/S Transplate (just the plate) on e-bay, very reasonable. I will take my time building my BP/W set up, perhaps going the "frankenstein" route.

Comments on building a "franky" vs. staying w/all Dive Rite would be welcomed as I am new to this.

Also decided to keep the Air-2 on the Knighthawk and will pick up another Legend Supreme to match my primary as a previous poster wisely suggested.

I travel with a steel BP/W frequently, combine my dive gear and clothes for a dive trip in one bag, and have never exceeded the 50 lb limit. A steel BP with hog harness and small wing probably weighs about 8 lbs; right around what most high end (meaning more useless crap) BCs weigh. An AL BP/W can be very lightweight, and packs much easier than a padded harness like the transpac.

There's WAY too much emphasis on how dive gear fits in your luggage as opposed to how it actually works while diving. The transpac was designed for long surface walks with tanks, not for ideal performance underwater.

snip... right around what most high end (meaning more useless crap) BCs weigh.
Well, my "useless crap" Transpac seems to work very well for me, and I believe that was at least part of the gist of the OP's question...

Diving, as social as it is, is still a very personal activity from a category and kit perspective. Not everyone dives, or wants to dive doubles. Not everyone dives, or wants to dive tech. Not everyone caves. Etc. In fact, I think I'm safe in saying most are casual recreational divers.

A sampling of the debates on here between splits and paddle fins, DIR and non-DIR, in-line and separate octos, even high and low pressure tanks, are usually informative (if not high energy). However, most of us have a reason for the gear we choose. In my case, I've used BC's (Zeagle, ScubaPro), and BP/W's, and most recently the DR Transpac. I might switch again, but right now the TP fits my needs... If you want to denigrate someone's choice of gear, in terms of "useless crap" then join the Pub... I'd be happy to take it with you there...

50lbs for one set of basic gear and one snorkel set?

that's actually not very light. I typically stay in this range for both my and my wifes dive gear. I have a BP/W w/ complete SS hog harness

The set includes two regulators, a 13 cf cylinder, 2/3 wet suit, hood, booties, pelican box with basic tools, dive light w/o batteries. The jet fins usually put the bag over the limit by 2 lbs so I end up taking my crap Sherwood plastic wonders.

Took the plunge yesterday and picked up a new Dive Rite S/S Transplate (just the plate) on e-bay, very reasonable. I will take my time building my BP/W set up, perhaps going the "frankenstein" route.

Comments on building a "franky" vs. staying w/all Dive Rite would be welcomed as I am new to this.
"Transplate" is the adjustable harness that Dive Rite makes to go on their backplate. Their backplates are just that: backplates.

You can either use the Transplate harness on their backplate or you can use a HOG harness (which DR also sell but it really doesn't matter because it's just a continuous 2" length of webbing and about four or five D-rings).

Back
Top Bottom