"Transpac" Style BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunatly, the luxury of trying a bunch of them out before purchase just doesn't exist in my world. LDS's understandably push what they sell, and the Scubatoys and LP type sites only have "customer" reviews and so-so pictures to go by.

I was in the same position as you 2 months ago. I'm situated in the middle of nowhere so chances to test stuff before I buy are really limited.

I did a bunch of searches on ScubaBoard and read the customer reviews at Scubatoys for several different wings before settling on the Oxycheq Mach V Signature

The reasons I bought it:

Not horribly expensive ($285, $256 with Scubaboard discount)
It got good reviews for durability
It does not require a STA and has built in tank stabilizers
It is really tight fitting to a single tank so minimizing flappyness

I ended up with the 40lb version. I was a little concerned it would be too flappy, but it turned out fine. It is a really compact well made wing that I can use for cold and warm water diving.

One of my dive buddies seems to collect Halcyon gear and he swears by his wing (I believe its an Eclipse wing). But they are pricey.

I've never tried the Dive Rite Venture wing or seen anyone with it so I can't comment on it.

The travel wing mentioned by matt looks ok and is a really good price. See the link below.

Backplate and Wings - Wings - Dive Rite 2009 Wing Line - 27# Travel EXP Wing - Northeast Scuba Supply

"The travel wing mentioned by matt looks ok and is a really good price. See the link below."

"Backplate and Wings - Wings - Dive Rite 2009 Wing Line - 27# Travel EXP Wing - Northeast Scuba Supply[/QUOTE]"

After I read Mattboy's post earlier today I found the above referenced Travel Wing deal. Best price I have seen for the "new" style TW. They had some great prices on close out items as well. I believe I will get that wing along with an STA (just for added weight and simplicity) and a "Deluxe" DR harness and be done with it.

The DR Deluxe harness is the way to go, no chicken wing maneuvers to get the BP/Wing on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom