TrashFest 2012 - Oct 6th- Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trashfest was started by a few divers many years ago for fun. It coincided with new Brunsfels Octoberfest Thus the name. Old records record the number of pop tops collected. The Tradition continues and is a great time to meet other divers from all around the state not to mention the prizes given away just for participating. For several years my wife and I sponsored a high school scuba team bringing awareness to all the cans in this little river. These kids are now grown and still participate in beach cleanups and other cleanups and trashfest.

The question I have is why isn't there a Scubaboard Team?

My experience for the ATX area has been that the vast majority of those I have dove with has never heard of scubaboard or dismisses it as cyber diving.

Sounds like people whose only window to the world of scuba is through their LDS. I'd bet the average SB member dives more than the average certified diver overall.

Agreed except these are the ones I've actually seen diving. It gets worse as you note.

Alright veterans of this event. While it seems pretty well straightforward, any advice, ideas, comments for a new team joining the cleanup this year?

We are talking about arranging a cleanup at Lake Murray soon, and will be doing more than just cleaning during this Saturday, we will be observing and looking for ideas. I've discussed this briefly with Bill (Guba) and Brad from CDOT. But scheduling is for another date on another thread.

Back to the original topic, any advice, etc? :)

Safe dives,

Cyp

Have at least one member of your team bring a pickup truck. One you don't mind throwing in the back sacks of dripping wet cans, rusty metal objects, and other assorted trash.

Bring sack lunches so you don't screw around trying to find a place for lunch.

Wear gloves even if you're not cold.

In the Comal, overweight yourself so you don't drift downstream. This is one time you don't want to be neutral.

Make sure everyone has a watch and knows when meetup times are.

Have at least one member of your team bring a pickup truck. One you don't mind throwing in the back sacks of dripping wet cans, rusty metal objects, and other assorted trash.

Bring sack lunches so you don't screw around trying to find a place for lunch.

Wear gloves even if you're not cold.

In the Comal, overweight yourself so you don't drift downstream. This is one time you don't want to be neutral.

Make sure everyone has a watch and knows when meetup times are.

Great info, thanks. We will try to look you and the CHUM group up while we are there. :)

TrashFest 2012 -- only 12 more days until the big event, October 6th, and there are only 12 team slots left. Please visit www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/to register and / or sponsor this great event. Today is the last day to order your very own official TrashFest 2012 shirt for only $10. There will be a limited number of shirts available the day of the event. Order now at http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/shirt_order_form.html. Come and spend a great day diving the Comal, helping the environment, having a great BBQ dinner with 450+ other divers AND the possibility of winning a great
door prize ($30,000 + contributed so far)!!!! TrashFest is the oldest underwater cleanup campaign in the United States bringing together divers from all over Texas to improve the quality of the Comal River in New Braunfels, Texas for 38 years!

Vanessa

---------- Post Merged on September 25th, 2012 at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 24th, 2012 at 07:17 PM ----------

The pre-sale of the official TrashFest 2012 t-shirts has been extended to Oct 1! Don't put off ordering if you want to save $$ and get your size. http://www.tgccdiving.org/trashfest/shirt_order_form.html

Vanessar

TrashFest 2012 has 64 REGISTERED teams and team registration is closed!!! However, it is not too late to be a part of this great event. Individual pre-registration remains open until October 3. The discounted pre-registration fee is only $10 per individual. Registration the day of the event will be $15 per individual. Order your very own official TrashFest 2012 shirt for only $10 for until Monday October 1. There will be a limited number of shirts available the day of the event. Don’t miss out, come spend a great day diving the Comal, helping the environment, having a great BBQ dinner with 450+ other divers AND the possibility of winning a great door prize ($30,000 + contributed so far)!!!! TrashFest is the oldest underwater cleanup campaign in the United States bringing together divers from all over Texas to improve the quality of the Comal River in New Braunfels, Texas for 38 years!

Vanessa Gray
Chair
TrashFest 2012

Back
Top Bottom