Travel Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Or don't go the route of trying to have one bag fulfill two different sets of requirements.

Solid, well made suitcases are reasonably priced, and can hold all your dive gear + all the other stuff you travel with.

A lightweight, low cost non-wheeled duffle bag with nylon zippers does a good job of taking gear to and from the boat, and not taking excessive space once you've setup your gear.

One of my pet peeves are people that show up on boats with huge wheeled duffle bags that don't fit under the boat benches and take up a lot of space. The only thing more obnoxious is people that litter the deck with large rubbermaid containers.

I agree with Charlie. Get a nice travel bag for your gear that you can also put clothes, etc in...and then make sure you have a good mesh equipment bag for the boat...meaning leave the wheely bag at your hotel! The big wheeler bags on the boats are cumbersome, take up too much space and can be a safety hazard if there's no way to properly store them.

I recommend Stahlsac, Armor and Scubapro bags.

Hi,

I use a scuba specific mesh bag for things like fins, mask, gloves. And I use a rolling Pelican case, rigid, for BC and wetsuit.

Safe Diving.

Jeff

I have a long duffel bag that works great, it's just the right size. I would like something shorter, but then my fins won't fit in it. I'll go take a look at what brand and model it is...

Deep Outdoors Tropical Traveller.

Closest thing I've seen to Bullet-proof. Not cheap, but nothing industructable ever is.

Gator roller. What's cheaper, buying an inexpensive bag that falls apart on your second trip possibly ruining your bc, reg, mask and other gear? OR a good quality bag that will last you for years and protect your very expensive dive gear. It's a no brainer for me. I actually have two. Tha gator roller for trips and such and an akona duffel for back and forth to the pool. Hey s**t happens there also.

I agree with bikefox and the others who warn of the 50# weight limit. I have a Triple-L (aka ScubaL) Laguna bag (30”x16”x12”) and it is great, but easy to pack over the limit (specifically, 56lbs going; 68lbs returning) and get charged an overweight bag fee (well, they let 56lbs go with a warning, but 68 cost me). The Laguna does have a nice detachable "saddlebag" that I take even to local quarry sites when the gear travels in a big plastic tub in my trunk.

If I get another bag it would be the Titan (24”x13”x9”) or the Sahara (20”x16”x7”). Heck, it might be both since together they'd still be less than that $150 figure that's been thrown around.

I have a mesh duffel from ScubaToys that I take on boats, but it is a bit too small, but I think the Sahara would be perfect.

-Rob

aquamann:
Like others have alread said, don't go the cheap route if you can afford it. I paid $59 last year for a High Sierra roller duffle and the airlines broke the whole back out of it on my first trip. I now have been looking at the Akona Evoulution and the Armour roller back pack.

Hey, the airlines can break a brick and if they can't, they'll wear it out. For years I bought expensive gear for travel and to be honest, it did hold up better than the cheapest gear, but you can also order good quality, reasonable bags from Cabela's and from Bass Pro. Have a look before you spent 175+ on the 'dive specific gear.'

Stan

I just used an Oceanic Voyager 3 to take my stuff to hawaii and it worked out great.

Like pretty much everyone else I would say just save up and make the investment. When you find out your reg is broken because the airline was too rough on your equipment you will wish you paid the extra $75 for a decent bag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom