Travel BCs budget $450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are both recreational divers and have no plan going tech, to keep things simple, we are not going with bp/w
Our main concern is comfort and durability, and light enough so that we could travel with it (coz we usually do our diving overseas)

Is there any good bc recommendation within my budget $450?

Unfortunately you are making conflicting statements here which, to me anyhow, indicate you should do a little more research before buying.

Comfort in a BC can only be evaluated by diving with it. What it feels like in the dive shop has zero relevance to how it feels with a tank strapped on in the water. This is probably a big reason that dive shops have sold jacket BCs for so many years.

To me the most comfortable and durable lightweight BC would be the DSS kydex plate/webbing harness/tropical wing, or what I use, which is an AL freedom plate with webbing harness and the oxycheq 18 lb wing. Comfortable because the rigid plate spreads out the contact between the tank and your back, and durable because there's no stupid zippers or foam or velcro or plastic clips to wear out or break.

Normally when someone says "I don't want a BP/W" in a thread asking for BC recommendations, I don't intrude, but in this case you indicated things that are important to you that are likely best served, IMO, by something like one of the options I listed.

Reactions: ycc
Ron, the crotch strap is 100% the most crucial piece of any scuba rig. Without it, it is literally impossible to have a properly fitted rig that is comfortable and easy to get out of. This is the biggest downfall of the jacket BC, most have no provision for a crotch strap and people then snug shoulder straps and it squeezes them and it is just a disaster.

Another thing is that you really don't need a crotch strap made out of stiff 2" webbing. If you are not scootering a soft 1" crotch strap will work.

Let's not be-little or try to force someone into a BP/Wing.

I can guarantee you that if my wife were to buy a BCD on her own and she did not know me, she be doing exactly what the OP is doing. If someone is open to considering a BP/Wing, fine, but if they flat out don't want a BP/Wing or don't personally know a BP/W diver who can help them and dive with them, let them go with a standard BCD.

It's there 1st BCD. Husband and wife just finished OW class. They will travel to dive. I assume they will be each other's buddy. I love my BP/W and I know everyone is trying to help, but in this situation I do not recommend they buy and dive with a BCD substantially different from what they used in class.

I cannot picture a brand new certified husband and wife, buying a BP/W setup with crotch strap and hog harness, having no one to help them other than us, pictures and video on the internet, then go travel for their 1st post certified dives with this setup.

And to followup on the crotch strap discussion. I use a 2" crotch strap. My wife refuses to use ANY crotch strap. It's not too hard to understand why a woman who is concerned about appearances, does not want to use one.

Last edited:
AMS, agreed. I have 1" crotch straps with QR's on them from Dive Rite on my travel bc and a few others. I prefer the padded 2" straps for most applications, but my transpac used for travel has the skinny one as does my AL80 sidemount rig. Especially with light exposure protection my man parts prefer the wider crotch strap, but to each his own.

Ron, I couldn't disagree with you more about that statement. Your wifes situation is an unfortunate one but one seen far and large by the whole industry, being steered into gear sold at higher margins with lower quality and lower functionality, it's a dive shops dream, but that doesn't make it right. Most people saying those things are saying them based on what they've been told by instructors or dive shops and think that the bp/w's are for technical only, but especially with the little dogbone plates, and the oxycheq mini plates, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Why shouldn't they go to a cheaper, better system just because they were trained in an inferior system? They don't like the concept of a one piece harness, fine buy a Transplate, they don't like the idea of a hard plate, well they should realize that almost all of the stab jackets have a plastic plate in the back, but then buy the little Oxycheq thing or buy a Transpac. There is literally 0 valid reason to ever make that comment about recommending a stab jacket when there are lighter, more travel friendly, and superior options out there. The oxycheq plate with a one piece harness and a little 23lb Hog wing is going to be lighter, more durable, higher quality, and better to dive than any other travel bc out there.

What is difficult to comprehend is trying on a BC in the shop, in the dry, in a standing position, and evaluating that it is what you want for diving...

Yet it is a very common practice....

factor in free shipping
To Hong Kong? - just asking....since I don't think even LeisurePro does that.

Need to use a crotch strap is a no-go for me always. And I can get a good fit with a back-inflate BCD and it does not ride up. At least good enough for me.

I can't say that for the few times I've used a jacket though - unless inflated and squeezing my sides which is hardly a dive configuration.

What about parts/repair options for DiveRite, DRIS or the other suggestions regionally near Hong Kong also? Things do break/get damaged. IDK - just
asking. I tried to suggest only options that should have a worldwide dealer presence. As new divers we can sort of assume the OP will likely take their gear in for service also. So that should be convenient.

we are not going with bp/w
Why are you all even having this predictable BP/W hijack/discussion? It actually is getting pretty tiring.

AMS, agreed. I have 1" crotch straps with QR's on them from Dive Rite on my travel bc and a few others. I prefer the padded 2" straps for most applications, but my transpac used for travel has the skinny one as does my AL80 sidemount rig. Especially with light exposure protection my man parts prefer the wider crotch strap, but to each his own.

Ron, I couldn't disagree with you more about that statement. Your wifes situation is an unfortunate one but one seen far and large by the whole industry, being steered into gear sold at higher margins with lower quality and lower functionality, it's a dive shops dream, but that doesn't make it right. Most people saying those things are saying them based on what they've been told by instructors or dive shops and think that the bp/w's are for technical only, but especially with the little dogbone plates, and the oxycheq mini plates, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Why shouldn't they go to a cheaper, better system just because they were trained in an inferior system? They don't like the concept of a one piece harness, fine buy a Transplate, they don't like the idea of a hard plate, well they should realize that almost all of the stab jackets have a plastic plate in the back, but then buy the little Oxycheq thing or buy a Transpac. There is literally 0 valid reason to ever make that comment about recommending a stab jacket when there are lighter, more travel friendly, and superior options out there. The oxycheq plate with a one piece harness and a little 23lb Hog wing is going to be lighter, more durable, higher quality, and better to dive than any other travel bc out there.

Tbone, I agree with everything you say except you don't address their current situation.

If they do not have a local shop that knows and sells BP/W, or they do not know an experienced BP/W diver who can personally help them set it up, are you suggesting they buy a BP/W setup online and rely on us, the online store, internet pictures and videos to help them ? 2 brand new divers who will be traveling for their 1st post OW cert dives.

If so, I respectfully disagree. Not a problem, just a respectful difference of opinion in this particular situation.

My wife's situation unfortunate ? Really ? Sorry, there are much worse things than her diving with an Oxy softplate, adjustable harness, DSS travel wing and no crotch strap. Try her not wanting to dive at all because I tried to force her to use a metal plate, hog harness and put a piece of webbing in between her legs along her private parts.

I'll repeat myself. I am a BP/W diver. I really like it. It's not for everyone and if you don't dive a BP/W, there is nothing wrong with that.

If you want to address your situation, you should be preaching to dive shop owners, OW cert class teachers and BP/W manufacturers instead of newbies fresh out of OW cert class.

yes. It is not rocket science. Adjusting a one piece harness is not the end of the world. Properly adjusting a one piece harness is easier than properly adjusting a stab jacket, mainly because a stab jacket can't ever be adjusted properly. It is cinch and pray.

One piece harness is literally this simple. Loosen the shoulder straps, put the rig on, have your buddy hold the plate against your back and snug up one side at a time until you can get a fist between your chest and the shoulder strap. Once both of those are done, close the waist belt so it sits properly. Adjust the crotch strap so it doesn't pull the waist strap down. Move the D-rings to just above the nipple line on the shoulders, and put the left D-ring right at your hip bone. What's so hard about that?

If it has a chest strap it is exactly the same procedure as a stab jacket, or better yet, a backpacking harness. You don't go to expert backpackers to put a backpack on, the Transpac/Transplate adjusts exactly like a hiking pack, and fits the same, and if you use something like the DR deluxe harness, it has the chest strap so instead of having the lower cinch straps you just tighten via the waist belt. Don't make a simple process out to be harder and scarier than it is. The OP has already been spooked once, no need to do reaffirm that.

again, the industry has duped the consumer... don'y fiddle with your gear... pay a professional... "its life support".....

oh, and "service" it annually...

Back
Top Bottom