Travel BCs budget $450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes. It is not rocket science. Adjusting a one piece harness is not the end of the world. Properly adjusting a one piece harness is easier than properly adjusting a stab jacket, mainly because a stab jacket can't ever be adjusted properly. It is cinch and pray.

One piece harness is literally this simple. Loosen the shoulder straps, put the rig on, have your buddy hold the plate against your back and snug up one side at a time until you can get a fist between your chest and the shoulder strap. Once both of those are done, close the waist belt so it sits properly. Adjust the crotch strap so it doesn't pull the waist strap down. Move the D-rings to just above the nipple line on the shoulders, and put the left D-ring right at your hip bone. What's so hard about that?

If it has a chest strap it is exactly the same procedure as a stab jacket, or better yet, a backpacking harness. You don't go to expert backpackers to put a backpack on, the Transpac/Transplate adjusts exactly like a hiking pack, and fits the same, and if you use something like the DR deluxe harness, it has the chest strap so instead of having the lower cinch straps you just tighten via the waist belt. Don't make a simple process out to be harder and scarier than it is. The OP has already been spooked once, no need to do reaffirm that.

Transpac is a back inflate BCD. Similar to other back inflate BCD's which can be used off the shelf. Easy peasy, a good choice for a new diver, we agree.

One piece harness, D-rings, tri-glides, backplate, tank straps, crotch strap, webbing, cut the webbing, burn the ends. Brand new diver, assemble and adjust everything by yourself looking at internet pictures, videos and words written on the internet. Then travel and do your 1st dive with your wife. What's so hard about that ? For the average Joe and Jane who just came out of class ? I guess we disagree.

You do know there are people that ask their friend to assemble their Ikea furniture for them because they cannot do it themselves.

It probably would make sense to create a new thread to continue this debate.

Steve, DGX does free international shipping over $250, I know Cave Adventurers ships internationally every week but not sure of their policy, but I believe it is free over a certain dollar amount, might be $500usd, but the OP would have to ask.

Regarding service, what is there to service? OPV's and inflators are standard and don't actually require servicing in the first place. OPV is a spring that lasts at least 10 years but is standard from every other BP/W so that's out. Inflator is in the same service. Harness is just a bunch of SS and 2" nylon webbing, can get that anywhere, and if the wing punctures, you fix it with a tire service kit from a bike shop. Hog doesn't have asian distribution at this time, but the wings are made over there, so in the odd event that something did happen *this would be operator error btw*, I'm sure Jack would work something out with them.

Transpac is NOT like other back inflates, it is a modular unit that is built to a generally higher quality than the others. The modularity is key for long term survival of the unit. The harness and plate will outlast the wing. Regarding the one piece harness, if they can't figure out how to adjust it properly, they have no business diving...
https://www.divegearexpress.com/library/hogrigging.shtml

That is about as idiot proof as it can get. If you can't follow those simple instructions then you have bigger fish to fry.

To the OP, this is not insulting you at all, this is purely theoretical. This is also in your best interest and just trying to help you ensure that you are having the best scuba experience possible. One of the most liberating ways to dive is with a simple small backplate like the Oxycheq, no wing, and a double hose regulator like was originally done. It is incredibly liberating, scuba does not have to be big and clunky and awkward like most classes are taught. Read some experiences of divers when they have made the transition to BP/W about how they felt and make the decision on your own.

I agree with tbone on the Transpac and others who are recommending a modular back inflate like the Hollis LTS and Transpac. I happily dove with a Transpac for many years.

If you are open to considering a full BP/W with one piece harness, it would be worthwhile to find a local shop in your city that sells that kind of gear. They can help you with the setup. As detailed as instructions, pictures and video is on the internet, having experienced BP/W diver help you in person is better.

Transpac is NOT like other back inflates, it is a modular unit that is built to a generally higher quality than the others. The modularity is key for long term survival of the unit. The harness and plate will outlast the wing.

A Transpac is only a harness that attaches to a wing. The backplate is optional. I believe Hollis, Oxycheq, OMS, Scubapro, Apeks and others makes (or made) something similar. You can purchase a complete setup, but the only benefit you get is the fact the wing is detachable and you can use a plate. If the diver does not want to use a plate I don't see much of a difference between a Transpac or a Travelpac or even the Mares BC the OP mentioned. Granted you cannot replace the wing, but the harness system is similar.

ams, transplate is the harness, transpac is a harness and soft plate. Not supposed to use a hard plate with it, defeats the purpose. The wing replacement is the key part, being able to have options for multiple wings or replacing just the wing is important for a long term investment. One pinch flat in a stab jacket and game over.

Im obviously in the minority here, but I've had two back plates and am not a fan of them and yes they were properly fit to me. I don't believe they are the end all for everyone and really telling someone new to diving that is doing them a dis-service.
I'm a big fan of the Zeagles. I have on older Tech-Pack ( a lot like the Transpac) for my doubles and for teaching, travel, or simple single tank diving a Scout. its a weight integrated back inflate BCD that travels wonderfully. It has over 500 OW dives and I don't know how much pool work on it and other than a little color fading from the pool work is still in top shape. My wife really likes her Aqua Lung Zuma for traveling but it only has about 3 trips on it so far. The best thing you can do is try several styles and see what works best for you and your wife individually.

Thanks all, didn't expect so many discussion in a day.

Ron, you know exactly my situation, hopefully I could be like you someday, good enough to arrange everything for myself and my wife.

Tbone, thanks for your advice on BP/W. Personally I don't refuse BP/W (actually I am quite fancy with that)
I am completely fine with the harness things, but at the moment, I don't think I can build up a good setting simply rely on online instruction.
To be honest, I don't even know what's the difference between each type of harness/ BP

And, thanks again for the CA web site, the price is really attractive.

Thanks all, didn't expect so many discussion in a day.

Ron, you know exactly my situation, hopefully I could be like you someday, good enough to arrange everything for myself and my wife.

Tbone, thanks for your advice on BP/W. Personally I don't refuse BP/W (actually I am quite fancy with that)
I am completely fine with the harness things, but at the moment, I don't think I can build up a good setting simply rely on online instruction.
To be honest, I don't even know what's the difference between each type of harness/ BP

And, thanks again for the CA web site, the price is really attractive.

My first piece of gear was a backplate/wing. I learned to assemble it from watching YouTube videos.

As for types of harness/backplates, they're really almost all the same. There are 4 types of backplates: Aluminum (light), "Travel" (lighter), Stainless Steel (heavier), and soft (lightest). The hard backplates are all good, and for travel the aluminum or "travel" style plates work the best. Some people really like the soft backplates for travel but I think they're not rigid enough. The plate is the frame or spine of your system.

The harness is how the plate is held on to you. For harnesses, stick to a single piece harness. It's simple, easy, and affordable. You don't need anything more. As for transplate/transpac/deluxe/ultra/switchback/HTS/etc......pretty much ignore them for now. They're all pretty much different types of harnesses.....and they're all variants of the single-piece harness. Some have multiple pieces, and buckles, and padding. Some skip the hard backplate and have a soft backplate kind of built in. Padding is unnecessary if you dive with even a thin wetsuit....skip it.

Get a plate and wing from the same company, any single-piece ("Hog" or "Hogarthian" setup), and two cambands. Assembly takes very little time, and it's a customization that you can spend forever tweaking to get everything just right or you can build it once and ignore it.

How to assemble a backplate/harness

More Details Here

Reactions: ycc
I assembled my BP/W one piece harness by myself using internet info too. I was a comfortable, diver when I made the switch. Took a few dives to get everything adjusted just right.

YCC and his wife are coming fresh out of OW class. New divers will have a lot to think about during their 1st several dives. Taking care of their buoyancy, their air supply, not getting lost, watching and helping their buddy. Add assembling and adjusting a one piece BP/W harness and crotch strap by themselves ? That would not have gone well for me or my buddy when I 1st got certified or for other newly certified divers I have seen.

It's nice to have choices. Jacket style, back inflate, modular, BP/W. Plenty of happy people diving with each style. Another choice is to rent and try out different styles before deciding what to buy. That might be the best option since you can see 1st hand what you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom