Travel BCs jacket style - and sadly negative experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is 9.71 lb / 4.4 kg considered 'light-weight', or at least enough for the BC to be 'travel-friendly'? The Hydros X weighs that much (according to the Scubapro website). Just curious as to what weight you guys think is travel-friendly.
It's almost 10 lbs, I don't consider that light weight. My Sub-Gravity aluminum bp/w weights 7 lbs/3.2 kg.

It's almost 10 lbs, I don't consider that light weight. My Sub-Gravity aluminum bp/w weights 7 lbs/3.2 kg.

May I ask if the 7 lbs/3.2kg include the wing or not ?

May I ask if the 7 lbs/3.2kg include the wing or not ?
Yes it includes the wing and harness. Mine weights about a half a pound more because I got the adjustable harness. If you click on weight specs it gives you the weights of all their bp/w combinations. Paragon Single Tank Package - Subgravity

I bought almost 11 years ago a SeaElite Scout Travel BCD.
Weight pockets are of the clip type and in the first dives I also saw that the weight pouches dislog from the pockets, and the weight pouches hang for the clip. The hard bottom of the pouch is not so stiff.
To avoid this I did 2 things :
1) If I travel with my car, I carry two 5 pounds lead weights covered with a neoprene envelope that are flat and long and fit tight inside the pocket.
2) If I travel in a plane, I carry 2 Stainless steel plates of the size of the pocket. This avoids that the pouch from falling from the pocket when I'm horizontal.

Since I did those two options, I had no issues with the intergrated weights.

Attachments

• IMG_6176.JPG
    IMG_6176.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6177.JPG
    IMG_6177.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 64
I have the Aqua Lung Zuma - under 5 lbs. 1st one purchased in 2010 and never had a problem with Sure Lock weight pockets. Updated this past November to a new Zuma and although there are only 15 dives on it, I haven’t had a problem with the weight pockets. I trust the click!

I have the Aqua Lung Zuma - under 5 lbs. 1st one purchased in 2010 and never had a problem with Sure Lock weight pockets. Updated this past November to a new Zuma and although there are only 15 dives on it, I haven’t had a problem with the weight pockets. I trust the click!

I have approximately 50 dives on the Aqua Lung Rogue, and trust the click 100%.
Maybe you could sell that to Aqua Lung "I trust the click" :)

"I trust the click"

A very nice marketing campaign slogan for sure :)

Zeagle - Ripcord design - I've dove with other using thee several times and never ever heard of an issue, though I wonder how much control a diver would have in dropping the lead. If you were vertical would the lead hit you in the ankle on the way down.
I agree on the Zeagle Ripcord. Divers either love it or hate it. And by conversation, it’s become clear to me that most of those in the hate camp have never used it. It’s very secure. As long as it’s threaded properly and the top zipper closed, I don’t really see a way to release the weights accidentally without pulling the cord.

I guess it’s possible to drop them on your ankle. I use soft weights with mine, so that’s unlikely to hurt.

The issue with the Ripcord for the OP is that it’s only available in the back inflation BCs. The jacket style BCs use a clip in pocket. No idea how that type rates among the other clip pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom