Travel BCs jacket style - and sadly negative experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using my old scuba pro that must be 20 years old. There isn't a lot of weight difference between a "travel" BC and a regular one.

I've been using my old scuba pro that must be 20 years old. There isn't a lot of weight difference between a "travel" BC and a regular one.
You’re kidding right? SP Litehawk bc is 5lbs. Seahawk is 8lbs. X-black is almost 11lbs.

I agree on the Zeagle Ripcord. Divers either love it or hate it. And by conversation, it’s become clear to me that most of those in the hate camp have never used it. It’s very secure. As long as it’s threaded properly and the top zipper closed, I don’t really see a way to release the weights accidentally without pulling the cord.

I guess it’s possible to drop them on your ankle. I use soft weights with mine, so that’s unlikely to hurt.

The issue with the Ripcord for the OP is that it’s only available in the back inflation BCs. The jacket style BCs use a clip in pocket. No idea how that type rates among the other clip pockets.
How does that system work for handing your weights up to the liveaboard RIB before reboarding?

There isn't a lot of weight difference between a "travel" BC and a regular one.
Travel BCs can be half the weight of regular BCs and just as important can be stored compactly in your luggage.

My Aqualung Dimension, takes up at least double the room in luggage as a Scubapro Hydros. The stiff hip belt really doesn't fold at all. It's great for placing the weight of the tank + Lead on your hips like a hiking backpack for long walks from the parking lot to the entry on shore dives, but not so good on luggage space when I fly to a tropical destination.

How does that system work for handing your weights up to the liveaboard RIB before reboarding?
Depends on how you have your weight in your pockets. You essentially have two choices.
  1. You can put the weights directly into the pockets. Smaller weight increment, or pencil weights may slip through the bottom, but I have no issues with 1lb & up soft weights. This would not be the preferred choice for handing your weights up before reboarding.
  2. You can put the weights into Zeagle's "Yellow Thingies." If you use these pouches, you simply unzip the pocket & grab the pouch to hand over. Mesh Weight Pouch - Zeagle
The top of the weight pocket has a red zipper, and it's very easy to use. When my daughter was first starting, she didn't have her weight needs for salt water down yet. I just grabbed another couple pounds and added them to her pockets while she was still in the water. For a liveaboard, the Ripcord makes a lot of sense, as there really isn't anything that can be lost, apart from the weights themselves (or the optional pouch). So, if, for some reason, the weights were to get ditched and be lost on the bottom, all you need is to re-thread the system and borrow some weights, vs trying to find another clip pocket.

For the OP, however, I don't think a Zeagle is an option. All of the current models are back-inflate...

For the OP, however, I don't think a Zeagle is an option. All of the current models are back-inflate...
The Resort+, Bravo, and Marina are jacket style. Until very recently, all Zeagle BCs were back-inflate. The Sport line (jacket style) was only introduced a few years ago. As I mentioned above, though, only the back-inflate models offer the Ripcord system.

The Resort+, Bravo, and Marina are jacket style. Until very recently, all Zeagle BCs were back-inflate. The Sport line (jacket style) was only introduced a few years ago. As I mentioned above, though, only the back-inflate models offer the Ripcord system.
My bad, didn't find them at first on their website. I think one the Resort can be considered light-weight enough to be travel-friendly. And I do see some kind of integrated weight-pouch with a handle on it.

I have approximately 50 dives on the Aqua Lung Rogue, and trust the click 100%.
I have the Aqualung Outlaw with around the same number of dives and never had an issue with the integrated weights, 100% trust the click as well

The best thing is the modular nature of this and the Rogue as they pack down to nothing

My Scuba Pro BC weighs about 8 pounds and packs quite eaisly. The difference in 3-4 pounds for a travel vs. regular BC to me is insignificant. I did replace my Scuba Pro Jet fins with OMS and that saved about 5 pounds. Our trips seem to limit us to 50 pounds and all of my gear/clothing and electronics eaisly meets that and pack in my LL Beam flat rolling duffel. A carry on always has my regs/mask a change of cloths and toiletries.

Back
Top Bottom