Travel Carry on with BP/W Vs. Aeris Jetpack as a Carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you look a bit more menacing? :D So far no problems but just another example that if human judgement is involved all bets are off.

I don't know why but the last two trips I've quailfied for the prescreened, no shoes off, etc line. Very nice.

I'm in the Pre-Check program now, so as far as TSA is concerned, I don't have to take off the belt anymore. But in other countries, their security screeners sometimes still make me take the plastic belt off.

Keep in mind that any smaller planes you end up on for inter-island hops may have completely different baggage allowances and may not have any space for your carryon. For instance, the planes to and from Little Cayman from Grand Cayman have no overhead bin space, and very little space under the seats. So other than a medium sized backpack or reg bag that you can carry on your lap, any carryon you bring is going to wind up as a check bag in the hold when you walk out to the plane. So if your trip includes those kinds of flights, you need to make sure that what you pack and what it is packed in can handle being crushed under the family from Grosse Point's 27 pieces of Gucci luggage in the hold.

If you have to gate check a bag, it, at least should be on top of the Grosse family's luggage and only actually be under any other carry-ons that had to be gate checked. And you should get it back immediately as you deplane at the other end, not wait for it to come out in Baggage Claim.

If you have to gate check a bag, it, at least should be on top of the Grosse family's luggage and only actually be under any other carry-ons that had to be gate checked. And you should get it back immediately as you deplane at the other end, not wait for it to come out in Baggage Claim.
It depends. Flying from Amsterdam to Rome they wanted to gate check luggage. We were surprised to find this meant you had go wait to get it at the baggage claim carrousel.

If you are talking about regional jets at large modern airports with dedicated jetways and such, yes. If you are flying an airline like Cayman Airways Express to LC, no. On Cayman Airways twin otter service going to Little Cayman, you are going to hand it to an attendant standing next to the plane, and he is going to put it into the same baggage compartment as everybody else's check bags. Whether or not he has added all of the other bags to the hold before he adds yours just depends on the timing that day. Sometimes yours will be on top, and sometimes it won't. Sometimes you will climb onto the plane and then see them wheeling out another cart full of bags to be added to the plane. This is especially true coming back to GC, as your "gate checked" bag will get stacked with everything else, and will go in the hold where Jerry can make them fit. It is not a huge deal, and in my experience Cayman Airways and most other small airlines usually handle bags well...but you should pack the bags expecting them to be at the bottom of a pile and not only at the top of the stack.

Having the same thought at first, buying my first BC, preferably for travel. Finally bought a BP/W set up from DGX. I also bought a Beuchat Travel Cabin Bag (on sale).
All my gear fit on it except the Fin which is too long for the bag.
Is there any other good short fins beside the Aeris Accel..?

I really would like to only have carry-on and no checked baggage so I can just hop down and have go instead of waiting for the checked baggage (which is very badly handled here in Indonesia, bags got thrown and sometimes handles are broken because of it).
One roller bag for the gear, and one backpack for clothing. If going island hopping with smaller plane (which is quite common in Indonesia) probably gonna checked the Roller Bag and Carry-On the Backpack..

"Can wear" through Security may differ from "permitted to wear." Despite my protestations that my travel belt has no metal in it, I have been asked on occasion to remove it through Security. I don't bother anymore and just wear a regular belt.

My experience also.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2015 at 01:14 PM ----------

All my gear fit on it except the Fin which is too long for the bag. Is there any other good short fins beside the Aeris Accel..?

Some of the same model fins vary in size. For example the dimensions of a XL Scubapro Jet fin is larger than the L size. I would have assumed the difference was only in the foot pocket. So there may be some other fins besides the Aeric Accel that may work. another short fin would be the Hollis F2.

I really would like to only have carry-on and no checked baggage so I can just hop down and have go instead of waiting for the checked baggage (which is very badly handled here in Indonesia, bags got thrown and sometimes handles are broken because of it).
One roller bag for the gear, and one backpack for clothing. If going island hopping with smaller plane (which is quite common in Indonesia) probably gonna checked the Roller Bag and Carry-On the Backpack..
Force Fins are very short but there's mixed reactions to them as they don't work very well with the traditional finning style (they need more of a bicycling motion) and are difficult for maneuvering finning (backwards or helicopter turns). The original model definitely fit your size requirements though.

As for having carry-on vs. checked, I'd say you'd be better off putting your expensive, fragile and (if you've got space) heavy gear in your backpack and checking your clothes. Like you said in SEA baggage handlers are not gentle, I'd rather it was my soft clothes having 25kg hard cases thrown on top of them than my regs or dive computer.

Maybe you could put your shoes in your carry-on and wear your fins. Just trying to help ...

I've strapped my Force Fin Pro's to the outside of a 30L Osprey backpack. Never had an issue with the airline.

Back
Top Bottom