Travel to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldsoulman

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to plane a trip to Utila in April and was wondering about how to get there from CANADA.
Any tips , hints, etc?

thanks

I just went to a convention in West Palm and was considering a trip to Utila for 2006. Aqua Dreams Travel represents some nice resorts on Utila and could help you book a package Room/Flight. They book for Laguna Beach Resort, Mango Inn, And Utila lodge. You can E-mail them at info@aquadreams.com or they have a web at www.aquadreams.com. According to their website Taca, Continental, or American air all fly there. Your departure options are from either Miami or Houston and would connect through either Roatan or Pedro San Sula, Honduras.

I sponsored a group trip to Utila last year, with SB members coming from all over the US and one from Canada. You can get there via San Pedro Sula & Le Ceiba on the mainland, but the double local airline prop connection there worried me. However, if you misconnect there, you can overnight at a local hotel and take another plane the next day.

I suggested going in thru Roatan, with Continental's 2 flights a day, and the local airline once a week flight connecting to the later one. It can be an adventure either way. Try to carry as much as possible in your roll-on, as luggage often follows a day or two later, altho this did not happen to us.

For information and ticketing to the local airline, I used Roatan Charters: http://www.roatan.com/ It might work best if you let them handle the whole package. :pilot:

I also went through Roatan and flew continental. I did have a problem catching the flight to Utila. . .flight announcements came in Spanish only. . .and by the time I figured out what had been said the flight was full, it seemed to run on a first come first serve basis despite the fact that we had reservations. Stayed at Utila lodge and me and my buddy were the only guests, it was great! We had the boat to ourselves. Spent our si on some of the smaller cayes and had lunch with the capt and dm. The food was good and we really enjoyed our time there.

divetraveler:
I also went through Roatan and flew continental. I did have a problem catching the flight to Utila. . .flight announcements came in Spanish only. . .and by the time I figured out what had been said the flight was full, it seemed to run on a first come first serve basis despite the fact that we had reservations. Stayed at Utila lodge and me and my buddy were the only guests, it was great! We had the boat to ourselves. Spent our si on some of the smaller cayes and had lunch with the capt and dm. The food was good and we really enjoyed our time there.
I think that Roatan Charters will arrange for a Greet&Meet Service - to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Try Exitnow.ca (www.exittravel.com)
Direct flights Toronto to either La Ceiba or Roatan. From there take another puddle jumper or take the ferry to Utila. If you choose to take the ferry, depending on when the flight arrives, may need to stay overnight in Ceiba. Recommend Coco Pando Resort (where you may meet Charlie Meader...).

i am in utila and have many friends from canada come to visit and all of us have found the easiest and cheapest is through continental to houston and then from houston to san pedro sula where you will need to get a conencting flight through a local airline either to utila or to la ceiba. unfortunately if you are coming from the western provinces you will have a layover in houston overnight on the way here. try to book through a travel agent as it is much cheaper than booking direct through continental. my travel agent got my ticket for nearly half the price as anywhere i found online. good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom