travel with weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In any sort of tropical dive destination that you would typically fly to, where you have some kind of dive package (including shore diving packages), I've never seen one that doesn't include weights. Few people are interested in flying with weights. Now if you are renting tanks ala carte, that may be different.
Shore diving is usually not part of a package. And, when we go anywhere like Hawaii or Bonaire, we rent a condo by-owner. No dive packages there.

Shore diving is usually not part of a package. And, when we go anywhere like Hawaii or Bonaire, we rent a condo by-owner. No dive packages there.
If you rent a condo, you presumably still need to go to a dive shop for tanks and fills. A dive package might be something bundled with accommodations, but not necessarily - it might be just that, a dive package. Unlimited shore diving packages (all the tanks you can drink for a day or week) or unlimited shore tanks the same day you have boat dives, are common any place out of the US I've been that has much shore diving. I just looked up a few dive shops in Bonaire and every one one of them had a note to the effect "Tank rental includes use of weights and weight belt." They simply do not expect you to fly to Bonaire with weights.

Hawaii is a different matter. While there's shore diving and some visitors do it, I think the majority don't and the dive ops are mostly oriented towards boat diving. I expect they see shore diving as something done mostly by locals who may need fills or maybe tank rentals, but likely have their own weights. Even so, you might talk to a few shops and see if you can work out a better deal. (I just looked up a couple shops in Hawaii, saw one with weight rentals for $8-10/day which does seem a bit much for something that lasts near forever and needs no maintenance. The next one I looked up listed $15/week which seems pretty reasonable, especially for Hawaii. Probably going to depend where you are and how many shops are around.)

The conversation has drifted from soft weights, about which the OP asked, to weights in general. Some folks strongly prefer soft weights and they are much less available at most dive destinations, so bringing them can make sense. We've only been asked about our soft weights when they were in our carry-on bags. In checked bags, never. ymmv

I was stopped in New Orleans with weights in my carry-on. TSA would NOT allow me to carry them on stating that I could use them as weapons. I still carry them, but in checked luggage. They inspected the weighted bags.

rofl but they let you take knitting needles in the plane

I know divers who have had their 1 LB weight taken by TSA from their carry-on.

It seems the consensus is pack your weights ( soft or hard ) in your check-in luggage.

We recommend travelling with 1 LB weights for trim. They are very hard to find and can be worth their weight in gold.

Then leave them with someone you like on the island. Your gear always seems to weigh a few pounds more on the return trip even if it is dry.

By leaving your weight you avoid an overweight fee and spread good Karma.

Yeah, the conversation has drifted, as most do here. :) And if the OP is going to have weight allowance left for their soft weights in their checked bags anyway and really wants them (either because they like soft weights, or just because it's what they have and don't want to rent) then why not. It's true soft weights are rare in rentals. But I would not take them in carry-on, that is just asking for a problem. Sooner or later security will not like it.

I realize that some people prefer soft weights. But given the ever increasing challenges of luggage/weight limits, I can't see where it usually makes sense to fly with weights of any sort, seems like obvious low hanging fruit to trim and maybe is something to get over. There are other ways to make weights more comfortable - regular weights in pocket type fabric or neoprene belts are much more comfortable than traditional belts, as well as being easier to adjust weights. I suppose soft weights have been suggested in some WI BCs but I think regular weights are usually just fine and having them in the BC should also make hard weights less of a comfort issue. (Actually a better argument to me for taking a bit of weight along is if you need smaller weights, 1-2# can be pretty scarce some places.)

USPS definitely. Do the flat rate, if you went first class it might just sit on a loading platform for a while

I pack my ankle weights in checked baggage. I still need more lead at destination, but ankle weights are hard to get down south and I hate doing safety stops upside down.

I pack my ankle weights in checked baggage. I still need more lead at destination, but ankle weights are hard to get down south and I hate doing safety stops upside down.

lol why would you be upside down? if you are having buoyancy problems at the safety stop just take a few seconds to asses why your buoyancy is off (you DO have 3-5 mins :wink:) of course if you have weights that help I guess it might be a mute point, but I am one to fix a problem by addressing the problem itself not just using something else to bypass it :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom