Traveling Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a generous sized NorthFace backpack works well to hold our two sets of regulators, two dive computers, and a variety of other miscellaneous stuff for the flight (laptop, iPad, basics, etc). Given airlines pay pennies on the dollar for belongings in lost luggage my thought is put the smallest most expensive items in a pack I can carry on...to help mitigate the financial impact just in case the worst happens.

If you need to save space, one option is to remove all of your hoses, coil them, place your regs and hoses in a clean zip-lock bags. Then place that zip-lock bag inside some other padded container.

We do something similar but just remove all but one hose from the first stage. That gives the reg a lower profile in the bag while making it easy to coil the other hoses. We never detach the 2nd stages or spg. Reattaching hoses to the first stage is trivial.

We do something similar but just remove all but one hose from the first stage. That gives the reg a lower profile in the bag while making it easy to coil the other hoses. We never detach the 2nd stages or spg. Reattaching hoses to the first stage is trivial.
You just reminded me about some quick-disconnects I have laying around. I remembered a few reasons why I chose not to use the, but decided to break them out for fun. (pictures below)

• Pros
    • You can attach and detach low-pressure hoses, even while the reg is pressurized, and theoretically in the middle of a dive (no idea why you'd ever do that).
  • Cons
    • Adding or removing hoses from the first-stage without QD is super-fast and easy.
    • The QD adds about 30mm (1.25in) of bulk, without a hose attached, meaning storage is not improved over a flex-hose.
    • With a hose attached, it's even more bulky.
    • It's a potential failure point, even if small.

The lack of space savings ultimately is what made the QD ultimately pointless for my uses.

Pics (1) QD with hose (2) QD and no hose (3) flex-hose, and no QD

20220611_133038.jpg
\
20220611_133102.jpg
20220611_133430.jpg

Wait til you travel through the USA and the TSA goes through everything. You'll find your reg wrapped around your wetsuit.
Thanks for the heads up. Must say I've only traveled between civilized countries with my dive gear so far and been especially spoiled here in Japan where they absolutely baby your luggage.

As an example, they place the luggage on the carousel in such a way that the handle is always facing out so it's easier for you to grab it.

Back
Top Bottom