Traveling to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched this forum for non-diving information on traveling to Cuba. Most posts were about politics, which I'm not interested.

I have one acquaintance that traveled to Cuba before Trump reinstated the almost total ban. Now, it appears to be open again. His biggest impression was the poverty, but it didn't sound miserable.

Anyhow, I want feedback from people that have traveled to Cuba in the last ten or so years. Did you like it? Would you go again? What was the biggest thrill, disappointment and challenge?

Please refrain if you have not gone, and want to post negative comments. This isn't The Pub. Thanks.

Are you looking for diving trip discussions or seeing the country discussions, because they are very different. I had the good fortune to wander about on my own for a week, no tour, no checking in, although I'm sure I was kept track of....

Are you looking for diving trip discussions or seeing the country discussions, because they are very different. I had the good fortune to wander about on my own for a week, no tour, no checking in, although I'm sure I was kept track of....

Non-diving. Thank you.

I only visited Havana, but it was refreshing to be able to wander around a historic city like that (more like a time capsule!) without fear of being a victim of violent crime. If it sounds like a place you'd like to visit, and you're good with the legalities and requirements these days for visiting (I haven't kept up with the latest), why would you NOT visit?

Non-diving. Thank you.
Rog. I attended a diving science conference in 2015. Drove to Miami, hopped on a plane. Arranged an Air BnB in Havana, changed a grand at the airport (you will do better at the liquor store at Marina Hemingway), and hired a car and driver for the week. ‘56 Ford with a diesel engine IIRC.

The driver took me all over the island that was within a days drive of Havana. I went throughout Pinar del Rio, and east to Veradero. I was scouting diving locations and port facilities, of course. Anyway, it was exceptionally beautiful country, poor of course, it reminded me somewhat of the Yucatán, where folks can’t afford much, and what they have is exceptionally well taken care of.

I don’t know if you would be allowed to travel like that today, but the Cubans don’t care what you do there, as long as you don’t do something stupid like fall out of sight. I was obviously with a guide (driver) who was probably reporting back, and I’d tell him what I wanted to see, he would take me there. I wasn’t being subversive, nor did I discuss politics or the state of the people we saw, I was just a big dumb red-headed tourist.

lots of Americans travel that way in Cuba. I can’t even imagine taking a tour….

why would you NOT visit?

My wife is hesitant. I want to make it as easy and pleasant for her as possible.

refreshing to be able to wander around a historic city like that (more like a time capsule!) without fear of being a victim of violent crime.
I was spit on by an abuela while walking in Havana. Some of those older folks harbor a long lived hatred for Americans. I was treated very well by everyone else.
My wife is hesitant. I want to make it as easy and pleasant for her as possible.
I understand this. My wife did not go with me. You might try a long weekend on your own to get the feels. My wife is not mad that she didn’t go, but every time I describe some thing I saw somewhere and turn to her to make sure my story is straight, she has to remind me that she wasn’t there. Dammit!!

It might help if you could elaborate on the root of her hesitancy. What is it about her perception of Cuba or visiting Cuba as an American that makes her hesitate? Could she compare it with some other place she's been that she did not hesitate to visit? I would say there would be little difference between Cuba and other impoverished island nations from the perspective of the casual tourist.

I was spit on by an abuela while walking in Havana. Some of those older folks harbor a long lived hatred for Americans. I was treated very well by everyone else.
How did she know you were an American rather than a Canadian? Canadians have been traveling there in droves for decades. Maybe frugal Canadians don't hire drivers with classic cars to take them to the rural places?

Edit: Oh, you said it was in Havana.

It might help if you could elaborate on the root of her hesitancy. What is it about her perception of Cuba or visiting Cuba as an American that makes her hesitate? Could she compare it with some other place she's been that she did not hesitate to visit? I would say there would be little difference between Cuba and other impoverished island nations from the perspective of the casual tourist.

Great point. I'm not sure even knows why she is hesitant. She might be afraid of the government using us as pawns. It might be the perception it's not a USA friendly country. Friends asked her why she wouldn't want to go, and she didn't elaborate her feelings very well.

Back
Top Bottom