Traveling to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt the taxis we hired gave the government a cut. Cash as it never happened. Same with restaurants. Probably the only time that taxes were paid were from the hotels. So I'd gather that most of the money we spent in cash went to the people.
I was there before the US started the people-to-people visit exception, and there weren't private taxis or restaurants. Your story jibes with what I have read, showing that some private enterprise is now allowed. I don't know if the government gets a cut of the driver's fares (how would they enforce it?), but if I understand correctly, hotels are joint ventures between the government and the foreign hotel company, such as Melia. The only private hotels are those mom-and-pop casas particulares, unless things have changed yet again. I try to keep up with what's going on, but it seems to flip flop with each US administration.

I was there before the US started the people-to-people visit exception, and there weren't private taxis or restaurants. Your story jibes with what I have read, showing that some private enterprise is now allowed. I don't know if the government gets a cut of the driver's fares (how would they enforce it?), but if I understand correctly, hotels are joint ventures between the government and the foreign hotel company, such as Melia. The only private hotels are those mom-and-pop casas particulares, unless things have changed yet again. I try to keep up with what's going on, but it seems to flip flop with each US administration.
When I go and stay on land, I stay in Air BnBs, paying in the USA in US currency.

I have no idea how the money is remitted, I expect that I'm actually paying a relative in the US that can freely travel.

If I remember correctly, privatization started in 2013. A lot has changed (improved) in that timeframe. I hope the privatization continues.

It wasn't a big deal coming across the US border. I wasn't going to lie about where we were, as the last thing you want is to get flagged in the CBP database (I know someone who was stupid and did lie, got caught, and now has a 30 minute interrogation every time returning the the US). I said we were there to support the Cuban people and for education purposes (which is true). The border guard asked me if we needed permission from the State Department. I answered "I don't know" (as nothing like that came up when researching how to do this trip) and he waved us through.

People should go with the expectation that not everything will be perfect and they will have an overall positive experience. If you speak Russian or Spanish, you will get a lot more out of your trip. Among the educated Cubans above the age of 40, quite a few speak Russian quite well.

EDIT: I did use Google translate quite a bit on my phone (unfortunately, no internet access with a US-based SIM card), but that isn't practical for conversation, but for basic directions/information, worked great.

I said we were there to support the Cuban people and for education purposes (which is true). The border guard asked me if we needed permission from the State Department. I answered "I don't know" (as nothing like that came up when researching how to do this trip) and he waved us through.
Wow--you didn't have to arrange a canned trip that was pre-approved? I went as a side trip from a third country where I was staying for an extended period of time, so there was nothing whatsoever to raise suspicion. I didn't even take pictures. That was 20 years ago.

Anyway, I obviously am not trying to persuade anyone not to visit. My point was simply that if one is serious about supporting the Cuban people and not giving money to the government, keep in mind that despite loosening of the prohibition on private enterprise the government still has a hand in almost everything. Personally, I didn't care at the time. I spent very little money there, everything was so cheap.

Wow--you didn't have to arrange a canned trip that was pre-approved? I went as a side trip from a third country where I was staying for an extended period of time, so there was nothing whatsoever to raise suspicion. I didn't even take pictures. That was 20 years ago.

Anyway, I obviously am not trying to persuade anyone not to visit. My point was simply that if one is serious about supporting the Cuban people and not giving money to the government, keep in mind that despite loosening of the prohibition on private enterprise the government still has a hand in almost everything. Personally, I didn't care at the time. I spent very little money there, everything was so cheap.
That's fair. I get the US government's position (though i disagree with the embargo), and I do believe I abided by it. The last thing I need for my NGO in Greece is to be prosecuted by the federal government! One conviction and I'm persona non grata for archaeology projects.

My wife, our 30 year old daughter, and I did a non-diving week to Cuba in March of 2015 shortly after Obama’s opening. We were on a tour group of about 12 with a guide from the USA and a local Cuban guide. Most of the time we were in Havana. We had a great time, the Cuban people were very welcoming, and we would like to return.

Hi everyone, what's the most recent word on CUBA??? ... what is hands down the beset diving you've seen/done/heard of in Cuba? Do you have any contacts you'd be willing to share (in personal messages please). I speak fluent Spanish and have lived in Latin America so language and culture are not a significant barrier. We are able to pay under the table in cash, in case you "know someone we should look up.." I have extensive experience and training, and my partner and I are up for rusting or challenging travel and logistics, and athletic/challenging dive conditions in order to access the best examples of natural/pristine environments. Just looking for useful tips, up to date information, and any possible conacts or recomendations.

please and thank you.

cheers!

You need plenty of time and make a exploratory trip with mask and fins in stow or be a rich white gringo . Good luck and do not give up on your adventure diving .

Back
Top Bottom