Traveling to Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What bottom temps can I expect in Key West, such as for the Vandenberg, week of 13 July? Debating whether or not to bring my 3mm wetsuit.

Ken

Guy diving in Jupiter today said the water was in the 80's.

I'll be diving my 7mm. :wink:

In the 80's is exactly when I'm debating leaving the 3mm at home. I do 2 hour pool sessions at 78 to 79 with a 3mm shorty. I'm in a 3mm down to 70 or a little colder. So, sounds like definitely don't need the 5mm (55 to 60 degree dives), or the 7mm (36-40 degree dives).

PS, Jupiter is a long ways from Key West . . . . . .

PS, Jupiter is a long ways from Key West . . . . . .

Water temps from Jupiter to Key Weird will not vary more than 3° F this time of year unless there is an upwelling of some kind.
I am in a 1mm lately.
Low to mid 80's in Pompano the past two weeks.

Chug
Counting down to the last Tuesday night in July.

Last edited:
The water temp in Key Largo today was 85 degrees (from rainbowreef.us). NOAA reports that Key West was 87 degrees at the surface today.

I am visiting next week, and am not bringing my wet suits. I will wear swim suit and rash guard.

I'm diving board shorts and rash guard down to 200 feet. That's where the water temp goes from 80 to 52. Kind of like running into a wall. Made a 200 foot dive and came back so fast I never went into deco (although I did my stops anyway).

85 degrees and calm . The weather forecast is outstanding this week with 5 - 10 knots .
Have a good time in Key West !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom