Traveling with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my recent trip to Aruba, the TSA inspector's were really curious about the "fishing reel lookin' thing" in my carry on. Turns out it was my camera strobe!

Everything but my camera gear and computers went in my checked luggage!

I've never had a problem. They rarely open it up to look. Now, my SS backplate in my checked luggage always triggers a search.

Since this is sort of on the topic, let me ask, for those who might know, what is the best way to get a canister light through? I have one that I would like to take with me on some live aboard trips this summer for night diving. What is the best way to get it through security with the least amount of trouble. I know the NIMH battery will have to be in the checked luggage (considered Haz Mat). Is it best to leave it all together with instruction book & all or to split it up between bags (which could be a real mess if the ask to see it assembled & working)? Can the canister lid & light itself be carried on While the battery & canister be checked (the most sensitive part)? Where would be the best place to seek correct information about this? I realize with clumped batteries, wires, cords, ballast & switches, it could look quite suspicious to scanners & going through an X-ray. I don't particularly want to obviously mark my bags as "expensive Scuba gear" for the airline scavengers who like to help themselves to whatever they may find in the bags.

We travel light....carry-on for everything, one backpack, one rolled carry-on each. I always tell the security scanner I have scuba gear before it goes thru...no problems in 6 years. I prefer to dive with my own gear, all of it, too many hassles with rental gear.

(Now if we get into photography in a bigger way, we'll have to start checking some stuff....God forbid.)

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with dive gear in their carry ons? I can just imagine what a bag full of regulators, cameras, mask's and snorkels looks like in the x ray.

event.png

My carry-on contains the following:

BC
Regulator
Dive Computer
Prescription Mask
Atomic SS1
Passport
Plane Tickets
Hotel Reservations/Receipts
Batteries
Small dive light

My wife, daughter and I (all divers) have the same basic items in our carry-on.. Sometimes they hand search three. Sometimes they only hand search one out of the three.

We have never had any problems in trips throughout the eastern, western and southern Caribbean.

i don't care how much they search me and my gear as long as the plane takes off and lands safely....they can check all they want.....i actually think its good that they are doing their job.

Don't you think it's an infringment of your freedom to be subjected to all this searching. I certainly do, that's why I prefer to drive whenever possible.

Jim Fish
Albuquerque, NM

Any person willing to sacrifice a measure of liberty in order to achieve a measure of security deserves NEITHER---Benjamin Franklin

And now they run a special on the news about TSA personell stealing out of peoples luggage. Then they misdirect the bag so it gets lost for a few days.

But regulators?
Yes, regulators. When I was trained to dive we were told the gauges could be damaged by unpressurized holds. Whether or not that's true, I've seen debates both ways. I DO know my regulators are heavy and the airlines don't weigh my carry on. I have enough trouble meeting the 50 pound weight requirement without the regs in the checked baggage.

To my point exactly. Why hand carry a heavy bulky case that is designed soley for the purpose of being checked through? If you want to hand carry cameras (and a great idea it is), put them in a simple soft-sided padded camera bag.

Carry little. Arrive refreshed.
He's had that case for about 25 years and everything fits nicely in it. We have a soft sided backpack camera bag that holds both digital cameras and our video camera plus all charging apparatus and we carry that when we aren't diving. The underwater housing doesn't fit in that case. Besides, the Pelican case makes a nice footstool.

I'm not a "carry little" person. I'm a happier traveller if I have a carry on plus a briefcase sized purse. I'm a nervous traveler and need to be surrounded by stuff...hubby's rule is "You bring it, you carry it." Sometimes I've got 60 pounds or so of carry on's and he has the Pelican case. I look like some sort of sherpa when I travel and I LIKE it that way.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hey tstormdiver!

I carry my canister light and battery in my carry on with no real problem. After it goes thru the scanner/x-ray machine, they usually want to see it. So I show it to them, they do a quick swab for explosives, and that's it. That process takes all of about 1 minute so no big deal for me. The battery has never been an issue taking it on board. I just make sure that it is in my carry on taken apart. It's one of the Dive Rite canisters.

BDSC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom