Traveling with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a "carry little" person. I'm a happier traveller if I have a carry on plus a briefcase sized purse. I'm a nervous traveler and need to be surrounded by stuff...hubby's rule is "You bring it, you carry it." Sometimes I've got 60 pounds or so of carry on's and he has the Pelican case. I look like some sort of sherpa when I travel and I LIKE it that way.
Ber :lilbunny:

Preach on sister. :D I'm an overpacker too, but I always have everything I need and wouldn't want it any other way. These fees for the second checked bag (which would be my gear bag) are going to kill me.

There is no real good reason to carry them on.

Experienced dive travelers do not.

I've got a good reason. While travelling on American Airlines, someone stole my reg and primary light from my checked bag. AA won't cover the loss because right after I got back, I dropped my gear bag in the basement and then went on a one week business trip. It was not until I returned to unpack my bag did I realize the theft.

I will be carrying on as much gear as possible from now on.....

Last trip, my reg bag got searched for the battery tool for my computer I had packed. They did not recognize it and I had to explain it to them.

I've followed the rule of "anything I spent a few hundred dollars on goes in the cabin with me." Do I trust the TSA folks? Sure. Does stuff come up missing out of luggage that's not in your sight? Yep. The other thing is, I want to be able to dive if my luggage decides to get on the plane going to the Phillipines when I'm going to Florida. My carry-on (duffle bag) has my mask, BP/W, u/w camera & accessories and usually a couple dive lights. My "personal item" is a reg bag with regs (wife's & mine), computers & SPGs... often there's even room for a book or two. Everything else I can happily rent or borrow if needed.

When going through security, I find if I open it all up, I get a smile and a "you've done this before" from the folks trying to do their job and keep us safe.

I also make sure I print a copy of the TSA regulations (usually the day before or day of travel so it has a recent date stamp on the bottom) relating to acceptable scuba equipment in a carry-on and carry it with me so if a well-meaning but uninformed screener says a piece of equipment isn't allowed in the cabin, I can politely ask for a supervisor and resolve the issue without too much of a hassle.

The other thing I've found with this current system is that it makes it MUCH easier to fall inside the 50 pound weight restrictions being placed on checked luggage by carriers.

There is no real good reason to carry them on.

Experienced dive travelers do not.

...surely you jest :11:

....I always carry at least 2 complete reg sets (sometimes 3) on my travels, and I just priced out the $ value of 2 of my compete reg sets...and when I add in the value of the computers, plus my lights, it exceeds $ 10,000 !!!! :11:

I always carry on my regs and cameras. And they always want to look inside my reg. bag and camera bag.

I carry my camera and strobes, along with the myriad of wires, battery chargers, additional lenses, etc, etc, in a pelican wheeled carry-on bag, and it always used to get attention from the screeners. However, on this last trip to Cozumel a week ago, it sailed right through screening without even a glance! But, the Mexican screeners looked through our other carryon stuff, and confiscated an unopened package of AA batteries and a partially used tube of toothpaste in a bag. (!) They have gotten hinky about batteries before, but a quarter tube of toothpaste? :confused: We always manage to have some kind of fun with the Cozumel screeners. We each also carry a backpack with basic scuba gear and clothing in it, and have never had problems with this. I must admit, it is a comfort to know that your reg/mask/computer etc. is safe and right there with you on your trip. I have been lucky with my checked baggage (so far) but many others have come to grief, so a little foresight does not go amiss, I think.:wink: If it is something you cannot easily rent or replace, carry it on with you. Schlepping stuff through airports (and you can streamline this considerably with intelligent packing) is a small price to pay for having what you need when you get there.

IBut, the Mexican screeners looked through our other carryon stuff, and confiscated an unopened package of AA batteries ...

I had the same issue today on the way back from Cozumel. I had some spares (AA rechargeable) in the package thinking that's where they belong that got confiscated but at least they let me keep two of the 8! :shakehead:

from DOT Safe Travel : "Carry your battery-powered devices or spare batteries in your carry-on baggage. In the passenger compartment, flight crews can better monitor safety conditions to prevent an incident, and can access fire extinguishers, if an incident does happen."

Other than that problem, never had any lost luggage and I carry on my dive computers (and reg since no quick disconnnect), camera and laptop. But then, I'd carry on everything if I could get away with it and not have to deal with baggage claim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom