Traveling With Set Of Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been searching for a set of used doubles to use in Mexico (I'll be there for a least two months) but no luck, and with the price of new tanKS I'm thinking about just flying down with mine. Looks like it's only going to cost aprox 50 USD to travel with a extra pice of luggage as long as the double aluminum 80's with bands don't weigh more than 50 lbs?

If I have to package tanks separately that's 50USD per tank. Anyone have experience packing scuba doubles for air travel?

I'm thinking i will strip hardware except for tank bands so empty tanks can be inspected. Wrapping tank in cardboard then bubble wrap.

Is there a strap to Handel doubles like a duffel?

I spend a few months a year down in Mexico each year so I may just leave them down there.

Where specifically in Mexico are you heading? If you're in Cozumel then Meridiano 87 rents AL80 doubles if you open an account with them. It's I want to say it was about $7-10usd for the rental. Not very expensive.

I know you said cave diving. Places like Tulum and Playa, Protec, Zero Gravity and other cave diving centers have AL80 doubles available for rental without much issues. It's a pretty common thing there I just don't know prices off top of my head.

Having said that, I've brought plenty of tanks down to Mexico although they have been rebreather tanks (HP23s and AL13s). I split them up into two different suitcases so I don't go over 50lbs weight limit and wrap them in bubble wrap.

An Al80 is 32-35lbs depending on brand. You could conceivably put them in a duffel bag wrapped in bubble wrap, clothing, towel. Pack bands separately, remove valves and put a piece of tape off over opening. Print out TSA regulations and leave them in your bag.

I've honestly never had any TSA issues but I have had issues with Mexico and tanks. If you can find regulations in Spanish or speak fluent Spanish then it may be helpful. I was almost not allowed on plane by Cancun security because I was carrying tanks (empty rebreather tanks with no valves)
Other than that, I don't see why it would be a problem but just get ready to explain to Mexico customs if you happen to get the red light during your bag check.

If you have a friend in Mexico or someone willing to store them for you then leave them there.

Time for sidemount?

Another option would be buying a set of single tanks and then bringing a manifold and bands. What about talking to some of the shops and seeing if you could buy a set of doubles of of them?

If you are in Coz, Tulum or Playa I think you should be able to rent the tanks. Have you thought about just taking the bands and diving independent bm doubles? Dive Rite made some travel bands years ago for that. I am sure you know but that is a great advantage to SM. You can get al 80 singles just about anywhere.

We have traveled with just our bands and manifolds. Then get a couple of Al80s locally.

Not to be rude, seems odd to be into cave diving and not know how much an al80 or set of doubles weigh?

If you were to take them, I suspect they will need to be as 2 separate unassembled tanks. The people I've heard of have shipped their gear. I would just call a shop in Mexico and ask them what they recommend.

Surely you can just rent. When I fly to Florida as apposed to drive I just rent a set.

This.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom