Travelling with weights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually are provided together with the tanks. To be honest, never had to buy/carry any cause wherever I've been tell you in advance that weights and tanks included in dive cost :)
Anyway, FYI, some budget airlines (e.g.: AirAsia) charge you for sport/dive equipment heavier than 8kg... Don't ask... :(

I used to carry some soft weights as trim when i traveled and just got tired of lugging weights around.
These days, when I travel I just use whatever the dive shop has. From my experience cost of renting tanks inlcude weights. I do realize that many dive boats have few 1lb and 2lb weights, but being overweighted by 1-2lb is not a big deal.

I have had weights included with the tanks on every dive I've done in 15 years. Never had to rent weights.

Weights have always been included with tanks everywhere I've gone. It has been nice to have a little trim weight, though. I've carried a couple of 1 pound weights, and one 2 pound weight that have been very useful, and not too much extra if you pack light to begin with.

If you go on vacation with weights you're insane. There's far better uses for you baggage space and weight. No place charges extra for weights and a belt, it's always 'tanks and weights'. If you have some sort of non-standard belt that you really like bring it, but just about every shop will be giving you the classic weight belt (though I reccomend checking the buckle).
Every boat/shop should have an ample supply of 2,3,4 and possible 5 lbers. I've never worked on a boat where we had 1 lb weights available.

The only thing you cannot count on are soft weights. If you simply MUST dive with soft weights you should ask the shop you plan to dive with/rent gear from if they have (or can get you) soft weights. Enjoy Cayman!

I have never traveled with weight either and all the shops/resorts I use in Asia have 2 lbs and up.

Hey guys,

First off I wanted to say hi! I just got my C-card a few months back, and Im currently planning a trip to the Caymans! Cant wait!

Anyways, I wanted to know how most people deal w/ weights while travelling? Do you normally rent them or somthing... or do you just consider it part of your gear and pack it like everything else?

To me, it seems kinda silly to waste some of your allotted baggage weight on actual weights.

You're right, it's a waste of space and will guarantee a bag search. Every place I've been in the Carribean provides weights, it's part of the package. Enjoy your trip and dive safely. :palmtree: Bob

What about weight integrated BC's? Do you leave those weights at home as well? So if you travel alot then why buy a Bc w/weights, just a belt.

What about weight integrated BC's? Do you leave those weights at home as well? So if you travel alot then why buy a Bc w/weights, just a belt.

All of the weights are provided/rented at the destination. The weights are easily inserted into the BC pockets.

Since you travel with none of the weights what sort of weight distribution scheme you choose is a separate issue. What ever it is you will need to load up with each operator.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom