Triggerfish Attack Head Count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Scuba1
OOOOps
Ans yes they are going to end up in a PAn if they carry on like this.
well, well, well, so the trigger-fish'll gonna win after all: afaik a trigger-fish is not edible... =B-Q

never been nabbed by any Ballistid. I did get my walloped in the face and my dome port bumped by a pissed off blue shark once, and i've had garibaldi boss me around, but thankfully, no attacks by Titan triggers. That tip on giving 'em your fins though, sounds like a great idea!!

Keeping them on the fins is great in theory, experienced them working as a team and trying to go for my head, not a pleasant experience but a good one for the bar afterward.

gregor:
well, well, well, so the trigger-fish'll gonna win after all: afaik a trigger-fish is not edible... =B-Q

Triggers are highly edible with a delicate lightly flavored meat similar to most of the wrasse family. they are just a bit of a PITA to peel. :grin: A 12 to 16" trigger has two very nice boneless sandwiches on it, Plus the throat and cheeks are good if you are willing to put in the effort to peel the meat out of them.

FT

<Raising hand> count me in.

This was the reason for my starting to carry my knife on my waist belt instead of my leg. Big pelagic bugger kept circling my head; seemed to be looking to bite my ear. Couldn't reach my knife because I needed to keep swimming to avoid him.

My extremely sympathetic dive buddy hasn't stopped laughing about it yet, and that was five years ago.

But I guess that since it was a pelagic trigger, then by definition the attack wasn't territorial, so I've always wondered what his problem was.

You can see me with a few of the nasty little peckers in my avatar to the left.

While on diving duty I was once attacked in an unprovoked manner by a 12" triggerfish. Fearing for my safety and that of my partner, I withdrew my service bangstick and in a comport with my training, I discharged my bangstick into the side of the attacker in a defensive attempt to get it to stop.

It worked. I never saw the triggerfish again......except for a significant number of smaller parts....

Gotta love and respect the tenacity of something relatively small going after something as big and dangerous as a diver! I wonder if we'd go after a 16'+ shark with that kind of tenacity. Then again, I'm hungry! What's for dinner? Can I get that blackened?

Back
Top Bottom