Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No - my BC doesn't have them and I don't care to try them

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • What's a trim weight?

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use trim weights as well, usually 1 to 4 lbs in each pocket depending on the wetsuit I am wearing. I dive a Ranger which did not originally come with the pockets but Zeagle sells add on pockets that will fit almost any BC which has 2 tank bands. See http://www.zeagle.com/bc2001_options.htm

I find they do a good job of allowing me to move weight around so I can trim myself as I want for the particular dive.
As to the weights being a hazzard, I don't buy it. Do you REALLY want to dump all your weights at once? A Polaris missle comes to mind. Besides, these are TRIM weights, a small portion of the total weight you using so not being able to dump them is not a major concern.

My Girlfriends BC has the trim pockets in back. When we dive she uses a 13 cf pony on the right side and a 3 lb weight in the trim pocket on her left. She says it balances her out and keeps her from rolling with the weight of the pony.

Ty

you probably don't want to hear this... but trim weights are just another solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

I know that I am not under the same handicap as folks diving BCs but I don't need trims weights.... and neither do you really.

When diving singles with my bp/harness/wing I can move the tank up or down and still be able to trim myself out horizontally.

It doesn't matter if I have a canister light on the right or not... it doesn't matter if I have an argon bottle on the left or not... I can still trim myself out horizontally.

"How?" a few of you may ask... while others mutter epitaphs.

Well... it has to do with the way you hold your body. The u/w world is dynamic and just trimming yourself with static weights will never really solve the ever changing problem of being trimmed out. But if you learn how to trim yourself using body *english* then you will be able to handle the environmental imbalances.

trim weights are really training wheels and as such degrade your performance...

Of course this is all just my opinion... but then as usual... I am right. :wink:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
trim weights are really training wheels and as such degrade your performance...

Agreed, but for someone like my Girlfriend who has only about 12 dives under her belt, the three pound weight tucked away in a BC pocket lets her not worry about rolling to the right and allows her to work on other skills like buoyancy control and becoming comfortable in the water. I'm not sure how much that little weight degrades her performance, but it helps with her confidence.

Ty

They'd probably help my trim problems with my Ranger BC because I have yet to get my horizontal trim where I want it to be just with tank positioning. But, I think I gotta agree with Pug in that the trim weights seem to me to just be a quick fix bandaid to slap onto a flawed product and just an added PITA thing to deal with. When I borrowed my friend's SS Backplate I was able to get perfect horizontal trim with no trim weights. I was able to stop and hover motionless and maintain horizontal position without sinking feet. I have not been able to do this with my Ranger to date. Needless to say I'll be cuttin' my losses on the Ranger soon and throwin' it up on Ebay.

performance was not the best word to use... it would take too much explaining to make it worth while.

Probably a better way of addressing the issue would be to ask:
1) what are the problems that trim weights seek to overcome?
2) what either directly or indirectly causes those problems?
3) what additional problems do trim weights add?
4) do trim weights really solve the problem or just mask the problem?
5) is there another... perhaps better way to solve the problem?

Increasing proficiency (performance:D) in managing dynamic trim and buoyancy control is not furthered by using trim weights...

And of course this again is just my opinion... and you know the rest :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
performance was not the best word to use... it would take too much explaining to make it worth while.

Probably a better way of addressing the issue would be to ask:
1) what are the problems that trim weights seek to overcome?
2) what either directly or indirectly causes those problems?
3) what additional problems do trim weights add?
4) do trim weights really solve the problem or just mask the problem?
5) is there another... perhaps better way to solve the problem?

Increasing proficiency (performance:D) in managing dynamic trim and buoyancy control is not furthered by using trim weights...

And of course this again is just my opinion... and you know the rest :D

Question..

Say I'm using a Pioneer 36 with a SS BP and I'm wearing a weightbelt. I have an LP 104 on my back and Jet Fins on my feet.

What if my trim is completely off? How can I adjust it?

If you need additional weight with a 104 and 6# SS BP, then... Umm the gym would be my first recommendation. :wink:

Or you could try...

Arching your back, tilting your head up and bending your knees more once you're in the horizontal position. Bending your knees and bringing your fins closer to your rear end, should pivot you into an upside down position. Once you can do that, its simply trial and error on how much to bend your knees. If you straighten them too much, your fins will drag again.

Good luck.
Ken

divernva once bubbled...
If you need additional weight with a 104 and 6# SS BP, then... Umm the gym would be my first recommendation. :wink:
Ken... except for the above.... Jonnythan is diving a Northern Divers CNX 2-RI drysuit with undergarment.... and that might need a skosh more weight. Why even I use a 10# belt with the above and a drysuit... :D

Jonnythan... you can move your tank in the bands some too.

divernva once bubbled...

Or you could try...

Arching your back, tilting your head up and bending your knees more once you're in the horizontal position. Bending your knees and bringing your fins closer to your rear end, should pivot you into an upside down position. Once you can do that, its simply trial and error on how much to bend your knees. If you straighten them too much, your fins will drag again.

Good luck.
Ken

I don't have any of the equipment I mentioned, I was just wondering how one adjusts trim. I wear 24 lbs with my drysuit and an Al 80... I'd still need some weight even with that.

So anyway, should it simply be a matter of tank position and body position? I do have something of a problem with trim using my BC and an AL 80.. my feet seem to sink. Should I just try to bend my knees farther? I'm not sure how I should move the tank, if at all, because the buoyancy goes from positive to negative during the dive.

Any suggestions? BTW Pug, I haven't bought that undersuit.. polypro + sweats work pretty darn well :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom