Trimix Certification Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured somebody put a frog in your Corn Flakes this morning.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Trimix is the gas... and you can learn everything about the gas in just a few hours of reading stuff on the web. Try Cobb's trimix site: http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/trimix.html
I'm referring, of course, to instruction that teaches the proper use of trimix. I'm sure you'd agree that a web page is hardly a substitute for professional training and experience.

Once you enter the realm of trimix you are also entering the realm of staged decompression diving. At the depths you are talking any significant time spent at depth will incure a serious deco obligation.
Naturally. Any serious course should teach techniques for handling this safely.

Up until now I have almost always avoided mandatory deco situations because of the inherent, added risks. I have had no legitimate reasons for wanting to push those limits. Now I do.
However... the most aggressive training always takes into account the worse case scenarios.... what happens when everything that can go wrong goes wrong?
Agreed. And I would expect -- nay -- demand such training.
The cave stuff may seem unimportant now... but it isn't.
Apparently TDI, for one, has a different approach to teaching this material. I'm not saying they're better or worse because of that, but it does make me want to look at the curricula for other agencies so that I can evaluate which may be the best for me.

With that in mind, I ask myself "Which is more likely to occur here, OOA emergencies and buoyancy problems, or situations requiring a modified dolphin kick and following a guide line in a silt-out?" Both may be important, but I'm going to start by chosing a course that concentrates on the skills that I may need the most.

(Although the dolphin kick does sound kinda fun...)
See... I'm still smiling
Me too. :D

g2 once bubbled...

What other agencies should I also be considering for Trimix? GUE? DSAT? Who else teaches it?

If you really want to learn and be safe and not do skills sitting on the bottom :D then GUE is the way to go, if you just want to get a c-card any other agency will do just fine.:(

am i biased toward GUE? You bet, for good reasons:boom:

g2 once bubbled...
With that in mind, I ask myself "Which is more likely to occur here, OOA emergencies and buoyancy problems, or situations requiring a modified dolphin kick and following a guide line in a silt-out?" Both may be important, but I'm going to start by chosing a course that concentrates on the skills that I may need the most.
For the wall dives you want to do the guideline and anti-silting kicks are probably not of primary concern. Managing failures under stress is. I again advise GUE training: Tech rather than Cave. There is still anti-silting kicks and line handling involved in Tech but not to the degree that it is in Cave. A GUE Tech class will give you the trimix, deco, planning, gas management stuff but majors in handling failure modes... it is not, however for the faint of heart.

BTW.... a buddy of the same persuasion is essential.

g2 once bubbled...
Actually, 'tis a pity I'm not into cave diving. This island is riddled with blue holes, both on land and in the ocean. More interested in the critters...

You should be sure to check out the big ocean blue hole that Small Hopes often dives. It's doughnut shaped, rim at about 60' or so, depths down to at least 300' (without cave diving). It's quite impressive.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
You should be sure to check out the big ocean blue hole that Small Hopes often dives. It's doughnut shaped, rim at about 60' or so, depths down to at least 300' (without cave diving). It's quite impressive.
Hi Tom. Haven't done it yet, but I hear it's beautiful. If I go there it'll be with someone who knows what they're doing -- and not to 300', thank you!

UP, you may someday get your wish. When I'm not working in exotic locales, I live in Port Townsend. :D

'May you get everything you wish for.' -- Old Gypsy Curse

g2,
You might want to check out if there are any ANDI "American Nitrox Divers International" agencies in your area. They are one of the first technical agencies out. They have a normoxic trimix course for divers with less then 200 dives and they have a full trimix course which will certify you to 100 meters. No matter what agency you go with make sure you find a instructor that is keeping active with this level of training. I have certified quite a few technical instructors and some of them have not put there equipment since they did the course. Also I would watch out for highly discounted courses. This is a expensive level to get into and you do not want anybody cutting corners on the course. Ask around and find out what some of the people in the area speak about the instructors. I have been with this agency for seven years and never considered changing. Good Luck in your search.

Bruce

andibk once bubbled...

You might want to check out if there are any ANDI "American Nitrox Divers International" agencies in your area.
I just found their web site, I'll have a look. Training opportunities around here, for any agency or course, are pretty thin. I may end up having to travel back to the states for anything I take.

You're right about finding a good instructor. When I was first taking an advanced nitrox and decompression class the instructor bailed out on me -- after I had already bought the course materials and additional equipment! Grr. I had words with the dive shop about that.

Thanks everyone for your input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom