Trip advice: 2 weeks in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it could be worth your while looking in to getting to Boracay, that is the must do location in the area, there is a company there called sea world dive centre that speak English, try dropping them a line.

Also don't write off the UK, there are some ace dives there in particular try getting to Lundy island from ilfracombe, can give suggestions if you like

everybody speaks english in the philippines. especially established dive shops run by Filipinos or expats. unless you dive with a shop that is run by non-english speaking foreigners (there are some but they usually cater to their own countrymen).

ALONA: If you want to economize, stay at Alonaland. Found it in Lonely Planet Guidebook years ago and always go back. Rooms run from P1600-2500 with aircon, some kitchenettes, and I think they have some non-aircon at P800. It's not on the beach, but you rent a motorcycle (P300/day) and zip right to it. Use the bike to cruise around Panglao Island - I circled it and saw the ostrich zoo, the cave, and many palm trees. I bought food at the local market, which is about 2KM from the beach and used the bike. We had a kitchenette at Alonaland, saved a bundle on food. We barbecued in their outdoor barbecue, whole fish from the market, masarap!

ON the beach, my favorite is Lost Horizon Hotel, next door to Isis but much cheaper and with a better restaurant in my opinion. You can pick your entree fresh from a display, they barbecue it there and serve you quick. Great Mango Shakes! Rooms are P2000-4000 low season, more for more beds or luxury room. It fills up fast because it is the best deal in town for on the beach, so reserve early (30 days minimum).

For diving, I went with Scuba World, near Lost Horizon. They are run by some Brits. But I've dove with several shops, all good. I have my own gear, so just give me air and a lift to the dive spot, I'm good. I go back again and again to Alona, it is great for diving and the beach is fantastic too.

CABILAO ISLAND is great too, but getting there is a pain. Some dive operators will arrange transportation for you (Sea Explorers did mine). I used the Sea Explorers transfer boat, from one Sea Explorers resort to Cabilao. Unfortunately, the schedule is random, if they happen to be transfering a group, join in. They run from Alona, Dauin and Moalboal Sea Explorers Resorts as needed. There is a direct banca boat from Cebu Island to Cabilao Island (Talisay Port), leaving Cebu from a tiny beach on Mahayahay St, off the National Highway near Argao, about once a week. There are no real roads on Cabilao, so you take a motorcycle or two to your resort from the port. Getting around in the Philippines requires flexibility! Power goes off at nite, when they turn off the generators. You are definitely on a remote island.

The long way to Cabilao: You can always take a ferry from Cebu City to Tagbilaran (P800 for Ocean Jet), then a taxi or jeepney to the Sandingan port (think that's how you spell it) and take a banca to Cabilao. Very long journey. Going back to Cebu your hotel can either get you on the regular daily Banca (about P100) from Talisay Port, or schedule a special trip for more (p3000++) - the boatmen try to rob you, rich foreigner. I have stayed twice at Cabilao Beach Club, excellent but expensive, once at Estrellitas, cheaper, not as nice but better divemaster, and heard good things about Polaris. So I don't think you can go wrong with hospitality and diving at Cabilao, just getting there is a pain.

Last edited:
Moalboal is SMALLLLLLL. I stayed there for four nights too, as my husband was doing his OW course, and although the diving was just absolute, the topside entertainment is almost non-existent. Four nights there and you will get soooo bored. Along the beach there is one main strip, and almost every place is a dive shop with some bungalows. It's the kind of place that you will know like the back of your hand by the second day (and all the locals will know who you are too!). It's very pretty and there are restaurants and a few drinking holes... but really it is very, very quiet and small. ...
I would suggest 3 nights in Moalboal, maximum. Maybe even 2 nights and leave on the third day in the late afternoon.
I also second Scoobydrew -- Boracay has a LOT more action, lots and lots and lots of bars and restaurants and discos and shopping etc. etc. etc. And, gorgeous beach!
Looks like you've never been to Malapascua to claim that night life is non existent in Moalboal. :eyebrow:
Doesn't have to be a redzone district like Puerto Galera with people regularly puking their beers on the beach around 3AM to have some entertainment...

IMO your 2 nights suggestions in terms of diving is quite off : Pescador needs a good three days, plus there are lots of deep dives in Talisay or other sites for critters like pygmy seahorses in the 35/40m zone. I don't see how in two nights it could be done along with Pescador. :confused:
...My first stay in moalboal was three nights, I remember I was so frustrated not to stay 1 or 2 nights more! that said I will happily agree that 5 days would be too much. :)

As for Boracay why bother, it's way out Cebu (remember the poster only has two weeks, last thing he needs would be additional plane transfers) and compared to other areas in the Phils, diving is tame, there's only one Ok spot which is deep with currents, moreover I reckon Malapascua or Siquijor beaches can match and offer better diving.
Shopping? Phils are no Tsim Sha Tsui... :shocked2:, if they need to go shopping (I still wonder for what???) there is Cebu city malls. :wink:

Ocean Safari Philippines is probably the oldest diving establishment in Moalboal. Run by a Philippino(Nelson) over nth yrs. He was my OW instructor back in 1996. You can stay at Eve's Kios which is next door to the dive shop and is operated by his sister.

Aquatica on Alona Beach offer spacious non air-con room.

In my opinion Moalboal is top! I'm there at least every second weekend, at Savedra Dive Center (check savedra.com). The diving, especially Pescador Island, is just awesome, and the people and the village are nice, too. I like the family atmosphere in Savedra, usually after the last dive the guides and divers sit together and have a deco beer.
Lots of restaurants and open air bars there, too, but not as commercialized as Alona Beach. And Moalboal has something nobody else has: adrenaline pumping jungle adventure tours. Check out Planet Action Adventures for that. These are no sissy sight seeing tours like chocolate hills, these are exciting and thrilling tours and they are quite demanding. Moalboal is good for at least a week if you are an active and adventurous person, and after that week you have some stories to tell.

ALONA: If you want to economize, stay at Alonaland. Found it in Lonely Planet Guidebook years ago and always go back. Rooms run from P1600-2500 with aircon, some kitchenettes, and I think they have some non-aircon at P800. It's not on the beach, but you rent a motorcycle (P300/day) and zip right to it. Use the bike to cruise around Panglao Island - I circled it and saw the ostrich zoo, the cave, and many palm trees. I bought food at the local market, which is about 2KM from the beach and used the bike. We had a kitchenette at Alonaland, saved a bundle on food. We barbecued in their outdoor barbecue, whole fish from the market, masarap!

ON the beach, my favorite is Lost Horizon Hotel, next door to Isis but much cheaper and with a better restaurant in my opinion. You can pick your entree fresh from a display, they barbecue it there and serve you quick. Great Mango Shakes! Rooms are P2000-4000 low season, more for more beds or luxury room. It fills up fast because it is the best deal in town for on the beach, so reserve early (30 days minimum).

For diving, I went with Scuba World, near Lost Horizon. They are run by some Brits. But I've dove with several shops, all good. I have my own gear, so just give me air and a lift to the dive spot, I'm good. I go back again and again to Alona, it is great for diving and the beach is fantastic too.

CABILAO ISLAND is great too, but getting there is a pain. Some dive operators will arrange transportation for you (Sea Explorers did mine). I used the Sea Explorers transfer boat, from one Sea Explorers resort to Cabilao. Unfortunately, the schedule is random, if they happen to be transfering a group, join in. They run from Alona, Dauin and Moalboal Sea Explorers Resorts as needed. There is a direct banca boat from Cebu Island to Cabilao Island (Talisay Port), leaving Cebu from a tiny beach on Mahayahay St, off the National Highway near Argao, about once a week. There are no real roads on Cabilao, so you take a motorcycle or two to your resort from the port. Getting around in the Philippines requires flexibility! Power goes off at nite, when they turn off the generators. You are definitely on a remote island.

The long way to Cabilao: You can always take a ferry from Cebu City to Tagbilaran (P800 for Ocean Jet), then a taxi or jeepney to the Sandingan port (think that's how you spell it) and take a banca to Cabilao. Very long journey. Going back to Cebu your hotel can either get you on the regular daily Banca (about P100) from Talisay Port, or schedule a special trip for more (p3000++) - the boatmen try to rob you, rich foreigner. I have stayed twice at Cabilao Beach Club, excellent but expensive, once at Estrellitas, cheaper, not as nice but better divemaster, and heard good things about Polaris. So I don't think you can go wrong with hospitality and diving at Cabilao, just getting there is a pain.

Regarding transfers to Cabilao and Alona Beach, Kontiki Divers in Mactan Island run 4 day dive safaris to Cabilao and Alona. As far as I understood you can book individual safari days as a transfer, like book 2 safari days, dive Cabilao and Balicasag and leave the boat in Alona Beach.

Hot Damn!!!! I love this place :D

So next January I'm thinking Philippines, more specifically Cebu ( that Enya song has nothing to do with it ) I come in here asearchin' for info and find that Moalboal is NOT favoured for it's nightlife and I'm thinking...that's the place for me. I need a destination, a place to head for once I get off the plane I go agooglin' and who do I stumble across? CebuDive Centre and their awesome sounding pricing for 10 dive packages.

I get here this morning, lo and behold a post from he shop with the Nemo logo. So I'm thinking the middle of next Jan, with and eye to staying a month. Maybe not all in Moalboal I still have research to do but it's a start.

Cheers Scubaboarrd. :cool2:

Well, the OP said that his GF was doing her OW and therefore would not be doing the deeper dives anyway... he also said he wanted some variety in his trip and some fun night-time entertainment... in my opinion Moalboal does not offer that much once your diving is done! But, to each his own....

Thanks again for your replies!

We've decided to reverse our trip so now starting in Moalboal then on to Cabilao and finishing in Alona.

Also, I realised that the price for and OWD course is about the same in Moalboal as Alona - the example I used in my previous post was missing a hidden cost!

We had a look at going to Bocaray but decided it would be too much hassle as we would have to spend another day travelling and it would cost ~ £75 each return. So we'll have to leave Bocaray until next time!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom