Trip Report Trip Report: Cayman Aggressor IV, April 28-May 5, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So last Sunday I finally (after 1,5 yr on island!) I took on the challenge of an early rise and the 'long' drive out to East End for a dive :wink:. Did a 2-tank morning AM dive with Ocean Frontiers, two sites on the north side of the island. Very friendly staff all around, and with Mike and Sarah we had a great crew. As all on the boat were residents and more experienced divers they were very accommodating and relaxed in the dive planning.

I surely did enjoy the dives. I'll probably also do it again in the coming time, even just for a bit of variety in dive sites and top side. And also the opportunity to stop on the way back for lunch at the Czech Inn. Now that is good solid food for after a dive!

Although I enjoyed the dives, TBH I didn't think it was that much different then you'd find on the west side of the island. It did have the more sheer walls and topography you'll find on the northern sites, but in terms of reef quality and marine life I didn't find it any significantly different. Actually I still feel that in terms of variety and quantity of marine life, the west side offers more than the northern and eastern sites. The 'aquarium' sensation I encounter most on the west side. One of the main draws to East End diving did deliver, on both dives we had brief sightings of Caribbean reef sharks .

What were the names of the sites that you visited?

My only taste of the East End on this trip was Babylon, which I found quite a bit more impressive than most of the north and west end dive sites, and even some of the Little Cayman sites, in terms of the health of the reef, the fish density, and "the aquarium effect."

I understand that Babylon is a popular site, and I could see why. Hence I had been wondering if Babylon was a fairly typical or representative example of the East End, or if there is something different or special about it, like the way the Devil's Grotto stands out (at least for me and reportedly for others) among the west end sites.

True. Conversely, one of the strengths of a publicly accessible forum with a strong membership is that statements are in the public view and subject to challenge. That may not fully counter act the distortions of conventional wisdom, but it offers the option to hear different views and justifications.

I imagine before such online sources, people mostly counted on a dive shop staffer, an instructor or more seasoned dive buddy (all of whom probably relied in part of what they'd heard from others), and got similar assessments privately.

We can be misled. I hope most of the time, the 'group think' of the forum will bring the truth out. This thread may be part of that; I, too, had read that on Grand Cayman the east and north coasts offered better diving than the west. Interesting to read your perspectives.

Richard.

In the olden days, the glossy magazine articles about dive destinations was a common source of information - but not always accurate information - and sometimes you were disappointed when you got there. Word of mouth info from dive shops and other divers was more reliable. Now we have this community and Undercurrent and other sites. I don't always agree with the opinions of others but I reading their views and sorting through the information provided by divers.

I have said this before.....The problem I find with Internet Forums such as this one is someone who has only been to a location once or twice starts spewing about how great this dive op or that dive op is and that is what everyone should use Blah Blah Blah with no real comparison or knowledge of all the others.....same holds true for dive sites resturants etc..Unfortunatly for the person seeking the information they may not be able to weed through the people with knowledge or those who have very little knowledge or second and third person info.

Actually, this sort of forum is excellent for helping divers evaluate restaurants, locations, dive ops etc. I have learned a tremendous amount from Scubaboard and value the opinions of frequent posters like KathyV and Rich who have placed thousands of posts and have hundreds or thousands of dives. Collective intelligence is the strength of the internet.

I am leery of posters who have limited dive experience, limited posts and or seem to have a vested commercial interest in what they are promoting.

True. Conversely, one of the strengths of a publicly accessible forum with a strong membership is that statements are in the public view and subject to challenge. That may not fully counter act the distortions of conventional wisdom, but it offers the option to hear different views and justifications.

Actually, this sort of forum is excellent for helping divers evaluate restaurants, locations, dive ops etc. I have learned a tremendous amount from Scubaboard and value the opinions of frequent posters like KathyV and Rich who have placed thousands of posts and have hundreds or thousands of dives. Collective intelligence is the strength of the internet.

Going a bit of topic and dabbling in some amateur psychology...In an ideal world the above would be true. The 'collective' would result in the best, most up-to-date, and most objective information.
IMO I find that due to the social nature of internet forums, many normal human group behaviour occurs. People are looking for a 'connection', 'acceptance' and common ground when joining a group. So often the strongest voiced opinions, by the 'most respected' group members gets repeated and amplified and becomes the 'truth' for the group. And it often results in people going somewhere or trying something with an opinion already formed by the group information they digested, and they report back basically voicing that pre-formed opinion. It's not only for diving, but I see it in audio, car, and watch forums I have frequented. 'Groupthink' is a strong thing!

A recent 'close to home' example I witnessed and thought was very interesting. The Sunshine Grill has got a very good reputation on SB, and often this gets suggested as a good place to eat. In a recent thread a few people were quite negative about the Holiday Inn restaurant. Whereas the Sunshine Grill manager and a large part of his crew moved over to the Holiday Inn restaurant about a 1,5 year ago and basically started to bring out the same great food. If it wasn't for one poster who's not a regular on the Cayman forum sharing a recent experience, some out of date information would have been rehashed and further strengthened. At that point I'm really curious if (in this example) are people recommending the Sunshine Grill because a lot of people recommended it to them so therefore it is good, or is it actually based on their own (recent) experience and opinion?

I do think internet forums are a great thing to find and share information, and meet like minded people. But just like in any social environment, be critical and open minded on the information being presented to you.

Anyways, enough of the armchair psychology....:wink:

I also never understood people swearing the East End is so much better than anywhere else on island to me the BEST diving is South Side where there are no mooring balls and you need to do a drift dive over the edge fantastic topography and virgin diving the drop off seems to start deeper more like 130-140 but that's my opinion

Sounds cool, need to do that one day!

This is part of why folks love East End - but it’s great all over GC.

Sharks are indeed one of the East End attractions, and we saw sharks on both dives.

Different perspectives. I've dove all 4 sides and still prefer East, South and North, to West - at least the part of the West that is dove most heavily. Part of this is related to the number of divers and boats on the west rather than the diving itself. I've been in freaking UW traffic jams there where some DMs didn't even know which divers were from which boat. And a lot of those divers were a mess. I don't remember the dives well anymore, but I remember the fusterclucks. It's been a long time since we've dove that area, maybe it has changed?

My west experience is basically the northern part going out from West Bay dock, so not the dive sites closer to Georgetown and away from the cruise ship diving traffic. Further north along the west side it is not that busy, each boat goes on their own mooring there, and occasionally you can encounter another group but it's not very common in my experience.

What were the names of the sites that you visited?

It was 'Fish tank' and 'Delwin's Delight'. In both cases we headed to the wall and I did 130 and 110 feet dives.

I understand that Babylon is a popular site, and I could see why. Hence I had been wondering if Babylon was a fairly typical or representative example of the East End, or if there is something different or special about it, like the way the Devil's Grotto stands out (at least for me and reportedly for others) among the west end sites.

Haven't been to Babylon yet, but curious to see it as it is a site many people rave about. So I'd like to try more of that side of the island and further refine my view.
Neither been to Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto yet, and very curious to try that out too. It's a site that gets great feedback from various online sources, whereas if I ask my friends living and diving on the island to go there for a dive I get a very 'meh' response to it (except when the silversides are in). Need to form my own opinion!

To clarify, I'm not saying that East diving is not great. IMO I just don't think there is that much difference between the various sides of the island, as popular opinion sometimes makes it out to be. Generalizing, I think the north and east offer somewhat more spectacular topography with the more sheer wall and chance to get a (longer if you're lucky) glimpse of some pelagics. The west for me has more in terms of quantity and variation in marine life, and some more swimthroughs/canyons if that is what you like.

Last edited:
menno I am going to be on island next week if I can arrange a South side dive I will let you know I think Caydiver was also interested.

menno I am going to be on island next week if I can arrange a South side dive I will let you know I think Caydiver was also interested.

Cool, I'm off/available Mon/Tue next week.

My west experience is basically the northern part going out from West Bay dock, so not the dive sites closer to Georgetown and away from the cruise ship diving traffic. Further north along the west side it is not that busy, each boat goes on their own mooring there, and occasionally you can encounter another group but it's not very common in my experience.

Agreed - I've been diving in Grand Cayman at least annually for that last 5 years and, except for the Kittiwake, I've only very rarely (maybe twice) seen another group of divers from another boat underwater!

Haven't been to Babylon yet, but curious to see it as it is a site many people rave about. So I'd like to try more of that side of the island and further refine my view.
Neither been to Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto yet, and very curious to try that out too. It's a site that gets great feedback from various online sources, whereas if I ask my friends living and diving on the island to go there for a dive I get a very 'meh' response to it (except when the silversides are in). Need to form my own opinion!

I'm hoping to hit Babylon for the first time this year - almost got there last year but another boat beat us to the mooring! We have friends who live in GC and they rate Babylon very highly, but also love and spend most of their time in West Bay/Northwest - they love sites like Big Tunnels, Orange Canyon, Bonnie's Arch, Ghost Mountain, etc., the list goes on :)!

To clarify, I'm not saying that East diving is not great. IMO I just don't think there is that much difference between the various sides of the island, as popular opinion sometimes makes it out to be. Generalizing, I think the north and east offer somewhat more spectacular topography with the more sheer wall and chance to get a (longer if you're lucky) glimpse of some pelagics. The west for me has more in terms of quantity and variation in marine life, and some more swimthroughs/canyons if that is what you like.
Agreed - it's all good diving! The main wall off of Divetech is pretty spectacular and a short swim - we also almost always see many Turtles when we dive at Lighthouse Point!

I would love to give it a go. We have a pretty full week (thank goodness!) but let's try to make it happen.
I don't agree that the number of posts someone makes should be a guideline of their level of expertise. Someone who is just doling out hearsay of copying and pasting every tidbit of info, relative or not to the subject, is not only a negative source but can actually provide info that is harmful. I know of very bad advice given to a diver who had special needs given by someone who writes tons of posts. Don't by any means think it was done on purpose, but nevertheless it could have caused a problem. We recently tried to set up a dive for a young man who was paralyzed. After calling around the same name came up time and time again about who talk to here on the island. We were pulling DMs with experience from several different ops. The checklist by the DM who was going to head up the team was long and he spent considerable time making sure he was up to date. That made me even more disgusted when I thought back on the "online" advice given to a diver who needed special assistance. Quantity is not Quality.

My point was that a person who pops out of nowhere to offer an opinion may have a secondary agenda. I can recall a rave review of a dive op on Roatan by an infrequent poster who turned out eventually to be the owner of the dive shop.

Quantity is not always quality but often they go together. IMO boards like this one provide much more reliable info than print magazines, where the rave review of a dive location/op etc often just correlates with how much they advertise.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom