Trip report: great trip despite the accident part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, y'all this is really long, but with 9 days and a car accident I just had a lot to say, this is coming in 2 posts part 1 and part 2. Sorry for the rambling, you can just skip to the good parts if you want, the wreck and the diving.

Wednesday, May 4th - We arrive on schedule on American Airlines direct flight from Dallas to Cozumel International Airport. After making our way through customs and on to the shuttle bus to the El Cid La Ceiba we check in and are greeted by all with familiar welcomes…it’s good to be home. From Ester the manager to the bellmen to the wait staff and managers at the restaurant every one greets us with big smiles and “welcome backs”

The weather is just perfect, upper 80’s to low 90’s with moderate humidity and gentile tropical breeze to make what humidity there is seem almost non-existent.

We check into the low rise rooms of the hotel, Ester promises to move us Saturday to the tower where she knows we like to stay. This is the first time we have stayed at this end of the resort the room is a 2 room suite, with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, blender, dishes and a Murphy bed in the living area to convert it to a 2 bedroom if needed.

The hotel is making the move to a time-share property and this is the one bedroom ‘condo’ that El Cid has developed. More on the time-share deal later.

I have just bought a Sea & Sea DX500G digital camera and underwater package through Holly at Island Photo. I’ve been renting from her and Armando for years and have finally made the move to buy. Along with the camera package, I also got a free lesson from Holly on how to set the camera up for underwater use.

We hooked up with Holly at Chopa Loca, the hotel restaurant and as we munched on guacamole & chips and had a couple of margaritas. Holly gave me a great photo lesson on setting up my camera and proper maintenance.

After the lesson we headed over to Martin Aguilar’s dive shop at the International Pier shopping center, Dive with Martin is a great dive op with very good DM’s and captains.
David and Orlando stand out as our favorites for their good humor and attention to detail.

We brought with us 10 pairs of used prescription glasses for Martin’s charity and paying cash for 6 days of 2 tank dives for 2 people our total bill was $575 with a free video and night dive. Not a bad deal at all!!!

Diner at Carlos and Charlie’s and pod people watching. We made it to Chedraui, the local “Wal-Mart”, just before they closed at 10:00p to get some drinks and snacks for the room.

Thursday, May 5th – Cinco de Mayo – 05/05/05 – Now to the good stuff, what we are here for…diving.

First dive, Santa Rosa Wall, might as well start at the top! This is one of the nicest wall dives there is, nice coral formations, lots of sponges and soft corals. We maxed out at 94’, but I suppose you could go as deep as you want here, I love to hang out just past the wall over the deep blue, it freaks some people out but I think it’s cool. We didn’t see a lot of fish life, actually that was the general theme for most of the trip, maybe current water conditions, time of year or whatever, the reef is constantly changing. Saw some good sized silver grouper, one really big, lobsters, anemones and the ever present arrow crab.

Second dive, also a favorite, Yucab. Shallow dive 40-50’ max. depth, lots of sealife here, juvenile drum, good sized barracuda, trumpet fish, a small hawksbill turtle, small groupers and lots of lobsters.

It rained on and off most the afternoon and into the evening, but didn’t get in the way of anything.

Since we have gotten mixed messages about what’s happening at La Ceiba with the time-share situation we went to the time-share presentation, the 90 min. presentation turned into 2 ½ hrs.
After 2 ½ hrs. of being sideways and straight up insulted by the salesman and in no certain terms told that if we didn’t buy into their 20 year commitment time-share we should look for another place to stay next year, we declined and went to have a late lunch. The jury’s still out on whether we will be able to stay there again or not. Too bad, we love this place and have been loyal customers for many years. I think El Cid is making a huge mistake by the way they are marketing the place, it seems they are targeting retirees and families, not divers, the bread and butter of Cozumel.

Lunch was part of the presentation and of course was really around happy hour by the time we got to it. We just made a light snack of nachos and quesodillas.

We ended up meeting a nice couple from Michigan on their honeymoon and spent the evening talking with them and a retired Dr. from Calgary. Actually we a lot of folks from Canada on this trip. The good doctor had already eaten and we bought diner for Steve and Julie as a wedding present. We all sat up until way after the restaurant closed having good great time.

Friday, May 6th – After the previous evenings escapades we slept in and opted for afternoon diving. We headed down to Ernesto’s Fajita Factory for a late breakfast, just a short walk from the hotel. We had a good brunch of eggs, frajolies, toast, fruit and that good java that you get down there,(why is there coffee so good?) it was time to get ready for the afternoon dive.

One of our 2 favorite DM’s with Martin is a young guy named David; he has a great since of humor and does a great job both on the boat and in the water. He was our guide for the afternoon.

First dive, Palancar Caves. Another wall dive with tall pinnacles of coral and several swim-thrus. We dropped down to a sandy bed to be met my 2 seahorses several yards apart, one of them with babies in his pouch. Then we headed for the wall and the swim-thrus. The last swim-thru you are at around 60’ and on the other side end up around 40’, rough estimates. Just as we were heading into it David found a very small sea dragon maybe 1 ½” long. On the other side he dug up a heart urchin from the sand and entertained us by blowing air rings.

Second dive, Columbia shallows…WOW what a great dive! I could do this every day! Very shallow most of it I think was around 30’. Lots of sea life, tube fans, Christmas trees, arrow crabs, scorpion fish, a nurse shark, one of the biggest schools of sweet lips I’ve ever seen. Peppermint shrimp, at least 4 turtles and a beautiful juvenile queen angle. David ended the dive with another round of air rings, took off his equipment and made a big one and swam through it. I’ll include it in my pics when I get around to posting them.

Saturday, May 7th – We decided not do any boat diving on Saturday opting for a shore dive on airplane flats, all the shore diving you want is included with the Dive with Martin package. This has always been a good dive spot for me, I enjoy the long bottom time, well over and hour and get to do what I like best, poke my nose in coral and see what I can find. On boat dives with the drift diving and having to keep up with the group I don’t get to take the time I’d like to. Everyone seems to be in a hurry to go somewhere and I’m always last in line looking for critters.
The main structure of the plane is still holding up and becoming a nice artificial reef, if folks would refrain from writing their initials on it. The coral formations around the plane looked like they had really put on some size in the past couple of years. We found some cuddle fish on the way out, my wife spotted 2 scorpion fish under the plane laying within a foot of each other. 2 yellow stingrays, lots of parrotfish, and the usual sweet lips and squirrel fish hanging out.

In the afternoon our buddy Ester the manager at La Ceiba moved us up to the 10th floor of the tower, now we are really feeling at home.

Went to Rock ‘n’ Java for diner, we love this place and highly recommend it. I had Thai noodles and veggies with peanut sauce and chicken, Thai food in Mexico!!?? Who would have believed it! Man, was it good!! The boss had black bean soup and salad. We only had enough room for cappuccinos, but if your there save room for dessert if you can, Lisa makes the best cakes and pies.

Part 2 includes the accident and post wreck activities...when life hands you lemons, make lemonaide!!

Back
Top Bottom