Trip Report-Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antietam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from 1st dive trip to Hatteras. Went to dive for 2 days, but only got 1 in due to weather. Dove the Dixie Arrow on Monday July 16th with Outer Banks Diving. The amount of fish life just completely blew me away. Big shark, rays, Permit, Amberjacks, Cobia, Cudas, you name it it was there. Was even lucky enough to see 2 Lionfish hanging around the ships prop. Had a very hard time absorbing it all with the limited bottom time. Water viz was suprisingly good considering recent weather, but was still sometimes hard to see things because we constantly surrounded by baitfish. Amy, John, Milton and the crew were great. Only downfall was long rough boat ride, long rough surface interval, and several passengers blowing chunks. Can't wait to return!

Sorry! Everybody had their ears!

Cool! I'm heading down to Hatteras in early September. I'm just hoping we can find dives for our relatively inexperience 3 or 4 person group...

this was our 1st Atlantic ocean dive. All other dives have been in the Caribbean. My wife and I only had 54 logged dives before Hatteras. We took the advice of several other threads on SB before it went down and hired a divemaster. It was $30 each but worth it. Other than rough surface conditions there was almost no current at depth. We were a little worried at 1st due to our experience level but man it was awesome!!

Wow! 3 of us were supposed to go to Hatteras last weekend and the weather wasn't cooperative so we postponed our trip till this coming week! You whetted my appetite! We're going To drive down Wednesday and hope to dive Thurs, fri, sat and some the next week!

There is a real dice divemaster without ears, but i forgot his name. Did you have milton as your guide?

I like to hang on the superstructure of the wrecks there instead of going to bottom, so dives last longer. Nitrox helps extend them, too.

Glad you had great dives!!

I am the same, I can't remember his name. Met him down in Guanaja a few years ago did a few dives with him. Nice guy. Really a good diver as well.

The guy with no ears is Wells. Awesome guy, great diver. Outer Banks diving is a good one. I was trying to get to the Proteus this year with them, but I doubt that will happen. :-( But, I am heading to Morehead Aug 24-26 and Oct 5-8, and sometime to the City of Houston with Aquatic-I have a 1/2 price with them, and really would like to get out there again.
-J

We had 4 great days of diving with Outer Banks Diving. The above poster is right, his name is Wells. He got his ears ripped off when he was riding a motorcycle with a necklace on and had a wreck. the necklace ripped off his outer ears.

I finally saw 2 lionfish, I had been looking foarever, and saw them on the last day. Also there were plenty opf sharks, saw two large jacknife fish (I had never seen adults before). Water was so warm that I shed the full length wetsuit and used skin adn shortie after the first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom