Trip Report (Long) Roatan / La Ceiba / Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great trip report! I wish all on SB were so complete and detailed. It does bring up one question for me:

Why are we divers willing to put up with such awful service and ammenties to get to the diving? We are spending the same money to stay at these places as people who don't dive spend at resorts with much better service. We should demand decent rooms, resort quality food and helpful people on-property to make things right if they aren't.

Stop paying to be abused!

Were there many Italians this time at FIBR?

Can you explain your point about shore diving there? We found it pretty easy. You just have to tell your divemaster you need tanks and they will bring the tanks to Gazebo. Since we mostly shore dived before the breakfast, we didn't forget to tell them when we returned from the late afternoon dive and it worked fine. Then you wake up, get there with your stuff, put your stuff on and jump in. We even took weight belts and fins to Gazebo in the evening, to carry less in the mornings.

Last edited:
Bravo that's a first class trip report!

Were there many Italians this time at FIBR?

Can you explain your point about shore diving there? We found it pretty easy. You just have to tell your divemaster you need tanks and they will bring the tanks to Gazebo. Since mostly shore dived before the breakfast, we didn't forget to tell them when we returned from the late afternoon dive and it worked fine. Then you wake up, get there with your stuff, put your stuff on and jump in. We even took weight belts and fins to Gazebo in the evening, to carry less in the mornings.

Yes, I do believe there was a decent population of Italians. Most of them did not seem to be divers, either. Now I'm curious why you ask?

In regards to the shore diving, good question.

The first thing to realize is, as I said, I was being nitpicky trying to find something to complain about. The end result for the shore diving still passes with high marks. With that said, I just found the shore diving to be a bit of a chore. It went something like this for me, obviously your mileage will vary:

1. Return from 3rd dive. Unload gear into my locker. Sign-up on shore-diving sheet.
2. Return to my room to swap batteries in camera (I stayed in the rooms on the far side of the resort so I conveniently walked past the gazebo repeatedly).
3. Return to dive shop with camera in hand, long ago passing the gazebo by foot.
4. Wait for boat to ready. This was *constantly* an issue during my stay as the engine was having trouble with the water pump and stalling/not starting.
5. Load gear onto boat. Ride to gazebo by boat, unload gear from boat, make a time arrangement to be picked-up.
6. Dive.
7. Return to gazebo. Boat isn't there. Call. Wait.
8. Load gear into boat. Return to dock, unload gear from boat, rinse gear, stow gear in locker.

All in all I found on average my 1 hour shore dive took roughly 2 hours from start to finish, several times longer, with most of that excess time me just sitting and waiting on FIBR employees. One night dive it took 50 minutes for the boat to come pick us up due to engine trouble. That was nearly a 3 hour adventure for a shore dive. Our average boat dive times were shorter than my shore dives.

Now if I compare it to Scuba Club Cozumel.

1. Return from boat dive and unload gear into oceanside locker. Return to room.
2. Leave room, grab air tank, walk to locker, walk 5 yards away from locker and dive.
3. Finish diving and stow gear in locker 5 yards from exit point or grab another can of air and get back down.

My 1 hour shore dive will take me about 1 hour 20 minutes to complete, the 20 minutes mostly time spent gearing up/down and rinsing gear.

Plaza Resort Bonaire isn't much different, but it is larger like FIBR so there is more walking and the lockers aren't 5 yards from the water so you have to carry gear, but again you are in control of what you need, unlike FIBR where you wait on staff. The gazebo at Plaza is never without full air tanks, for example. You just walk up with your gear and jump in 24 hours a day.

How can FIBR streamline the shore diving process? I'm not exactly sure. I have a few ideas, but none of them are quick, cheap fixes (and thus likely unrealistic). I think the easist way would be assigned lockers to your room number (side rant: one thing I didn't like about the FIBR lockers was the free-for-all atmosphere of finding a locker) and have the ability to call from my room and ask them to meet me at the gazebo with my gear and can of air. After the dive having the ability to leave the gear and air tank there and walk away is huge so maybe a staff member assigned to the gazebo to simply sit there and keep gear in check until a boat returns for it. :idk:

Like I said, I was just nitpicking, but I do think spending 2 hours per shore dive is long and could be streamlined somehow, especially when most that time is me either loading or unloading gear from a boat or waiting on staff.

HTH

Why are we divers willing to put up with such awful service and ammenties to get to the diving?

We should demand decent rooms, resort quality food and helpful people on-property to make things right if they aren't.

Stop paying to be abused!

Jeffrey, while I totally agree with you, I think you get what you pay for at FI - or anywhere else. Any resort is not going to spend more money (on food, electric, diesel, amenities, extras) than it is bringing in during any particular week. Most divers accept the lack of frills and basics in exchange for a cheaper price (especially when they run their 2 for 1 specials) and a decent dive op. Although this place began renovations, they appear to have placed them on hold. Between Scubaboard and TripAdvisor feedback, there appears to be little reason anyone would not know what they may face booking FI. People looking for a 4 or 5 star resort aren't going to find it here, but they understand that going in. I'm a local and I stayed there last Thanksgiving Week just for the repetitive diving experience.

thanks for your report.... we are happy to pay a few $$ more and stay right over at Cocoview. No issues there with rooms, food, electricity, a/c, and easier shore diving access. :D worth every penny!

robin:D

Well, though I like Italians in general for their cheerful nature, our experience with them in FIBR was not very positive. There were several on our boat, maybe 5, and they were not very organized, to put it mildly. 1st the boat had to wait for the Italians so we could leave the bay and dive. Then, when everyone was already putting their gear on, the Italians would keep talking, and when everyone was ready to jump there would be a couple of Italians still squeezing their legs into the wetsuits. So we were always late in everything and they didn't mind at all. I know couple of Italian words but I've never heard any of them saying "Pronto!"

This could have been an issue only with our particular group of Italians, but on our last day at FIBR we were assigned to a different boat. Most people left on Saturday but we were leaving Sunday, so FIBR grouped the remaining couple dozen divers on just 3 boats. The folks on the new boat did not know us and when they heard us talking foreign language they looked at us with suspicion. Finally, one man dared to ask, "You folks are not Italian, by any chance?" "No, we are Russians," said I. "Oh, Thank God! They are Russians!!!" was his reply and everyone laughed happily. This was probably the only case in our lives someone was happy to know we were Russians. But they probably would be equally happy if we were Albanians. Makes you wonder.

Re shore diving, we figured the best dives were early in the morning before the water got messed up. So after the 3d dive we would simply pick up the gear and walk to our room. I would take the weight belts and fins to gazebo and later check if the tanks were there, and if not, I would call the diveshop. The rest of our gear was left on the balkony overnight. This way we were never in a rush and did not waste any time on organizing the shore dives. We did couple of night dives at Gazebo but did not like it because of poor visibility, so we stopped doing this.

To make shore diving easy, I would suggest FIBR should concentrate on delivering tanks to Gazebo and back, while the divers should be responsible for the gear. It would be more economical for them to use wheelbarrow, not the skiff, for tank delivery, and for divers a short walk with the gear should not be a big deal.

Thanks for the tip on Cozumel--I did not know there was shore diving there except for the Marine park.

Re: Italians... I was speaking with a DM one afternoon, forget his name but wouldn't use it here regardless, just killing time and I was askng him how he enjoyed his job. He was telling me his favorite part was critter hunting, finding the little things, and showing them to the guests. Without prodding from me he continued, slightly paraphrased, "...except for the Italians. I don't show them anything." Now with my curiosity on the rise I enquired for more info. He continued, again paraphrased, "those Italians don't tip. Ever. So I don't do anything but jump in the water and make sure they don't get lost or kill themselves. They are on their own for finding stuff."

Interesting comments I thought.

Re: shore diving... I'd be happy to carry my own gear, but that is a fairly long walk from the dive lockers to the gazebo at FIBR. That would get old real quick.

Re: Cozumel... don't equate shore diving at SCC to shore diving at FIBR in terms of quality. At SCC it's mostly man-made from old air tanks bolted together and holes cut out, cement rubble, etc. Although it is enough to bring in a large selection of animals and keep your interest, it certainly isn't a Prince Albert wreck or a Newman's wall sort of dive, either. But it gave me the chance to watch a Damsel fan it's eggs while my wife baked in the sun.

thanks for your report.... we are happy to pay a few $$ more and stay right over at Cocoview. No issues there with rooms, food, electricity, a/c, and easier shore diving access. :D worth every penny!

robin:D

As much as I can appreciate your desire to spend twice the sum of money as I did to essentially be in same spot and dive the same sites, I don't see how you can say your shore diving is any easier. Can you clearify this for me? Obviously I wasn't at CCV, but from my vantage point it seems like you have an extensive swim out to the PA or CCV wall whereas at FIBR it virtually began when we stepped off the gazebo. Furthermore, despite my complaints about waiting for the boat to ferry us back and forth, if you were organized and geared up the ferry would drop you off directly over the PA or Newmans wall. Does CCV have a drop-off service available so you can back-roll onto the PA or CCV wall? Now *that* is some easy shore diving.

Back
Top Bottom