Trip Report (Long) Roatan / La Ceiba / Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually ccv does have the drop off dive after each boat dive. Either of the two walls or the PA. Hey I'm not knocking FI. I have done FI and CCV. Going to CCV again in June. Both have their strengths. If I'm with a non diver I take FI, better beach, more toys (skidoos, pool) more animals. For pure diving - CCV. Also the shore diving at CCV is a MUCH shorter walk from lockers to water. And the "long swim out" is full of cool critters. Seeing critters starts even before you get out to the staging area. Naturally the old TINSTAAFL rule applies. There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. CCV is pricier and FI is one of the least expensive AI resorts around.

Actually ccv does have the drop off dive after each boat dive. Either of the two walls or the PA. Hey I'm not knocking FI. I have done FI and CCV. Going to CCV again in June. Both have their strengths. If I'm with a non diver I take FI, better beach, more toys (skidoos, pool) more animals. For pure diving - CCV. Also the shore diving at CCV is a MUCH shorter walk from lockers to water. And the "long swim out" is full of cool critters. Seeing critters starts even before you get out to the staging area. Naturally the old TINSTAAFL rule applies. There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. CCV is pricier and FI is one of the least expensive AI resorts around.

I wasn't refering to the drop-off dives because both resorts offer that. My question was in regards to the shore diving and whether they have a service that will drop you off over the PA. FIBR will do drop-off dives over the PA or Newman's wall - in addition to the normal drop-off dives on the way back in from other dive sites. As much as I was annoyed by waiting on FIBR staff to shuttle me back and forth for shore dives, there was at least the bonus of getting dropped over the wreck. It sounds like a happy median would be the option of a short walk from lockers to water like CCV has, but also the option to request a ferry boat to do a drop-off over the PA and let you swim back to shore like FIBR does.

And I know what you mean about seeing the cool critters on the long swim out. I'm with you on that as I'm a critter hunter myself. One particular shore dive I did was I followed "the wrong chain" from the gazebo at FIBR just to see if I found anything. Our group's know-it-all done-it-all guru just finished a dive and proclaimed it a waste and nothing to see after he followed the wrong chain. For me it was a very rewarding dive because I photographed my first Sexy Shrimp and first Pederson Shrimp. However, I dive with my father sometimes and a long swim out could be the entire dive profile for him. In that instance it sure makes the shore dive drop-off valuable for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom