Trip Report, PartII, Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After spending a week at Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac, we headed over to Little Cayman to stay at Pirates Point Resort for a week, 3/22-3/30.

Our stay there was wonderful! PPR has five small bungalows with two rooms each, three right on the beach, and two set back just a bit. Ours was right on the beach and though the beach units have no AC, the wind kept things cool enough. I would not have traded for a "garden view" unit with AC.

The resort is nicely situated with the bungalows within a hundred feet of the main building which serves as bar, restaurant, gift shop, and office.

The bar is well stocked and self serve, divers are all inclusive. Non-divers are on the honor system and keep track on a tablet of what they drink. Guests are encouraged to decorate the bar with crafts type projects made from items found on the beach.

Meals are served on thier schedule, which revolves around the diving schedule, and is sounded by a bell outside. The DM's serve most of the meals and we enjoyed the extra interaction with them. The meals were the best we've ever had at a dive resort, and the kitchen is always open for left-overs. Check thier website to see why.
http://www.piratespointresort.com

The diving was wonderful here too. They have a Newton 42', which was never full during our stay, even though the resort was. Morning dives leave at 9:15am(island time) and return at 2:00pm. Most dives were on Bloody Bay and Jackson wall, and were amazing. The DM's like to you to dive in one of two groups for the first part of the dive, but after a tour of the site, usually about 30 minutes, they let you go on your own. This is what we like to do anyway, but I did see some folks who did their own thing for the whole dive. I like having the local DM there to point out the stuff I might miss otherwise. They don't do afternoon dives, but will do evening dives for 3-6 people. We did one, and it was the most amazing dive we have ever done.(not our 1st night dive) Mostly for one reason. "string of pearls" If anyone knows exactly what they are, please post. I think they are a type of worm that is mating after the full moon.

We loved both the places we stayed at on "The Sister Islands", but I have to say the PPR was the best. My family had a small hotel in Belize a few years back and PPR felt a lot like visiting there. Like family. That said, what would I do next time I go to the Cayman's? The same thing! One week at each.

Brian

Now I'm getting homesick.

LC is one of the few places that are on my short list of places I would like to return. The only problem is that there is nothing for the non-diver to do.

I agree, a non-diver looking for something to do would be pretty bored. A non-diver just looking for a relaxing week with a book or five, would be in heaven.
Brian

I consider the Sisters as the closest best diving that there is. T&C may rival but it's farther away. Then of course Oceana or Micronesia or Red Sea or other Pacific areas will beat Brac/Little, but the hours and hours spent in the air, is time and money spent on vacation that I don't always have.

Been to LC 3 times now, twice on the Cayman Aggressor III in 1990 and 1991, then just last month at Southern Cross Club for a week. I hope it's not the last time I visit there, but there are still a lot of places where I haven't been, so...... :wink:

nipi:
Going over on Friday for the weekend.

OK, rub it in. I plan a trip to a warm place months in advance, and then fly for 22 hours. Your going "for the weekend" cracks me up!

Have fun,
B

We did thanks. There again, I have to plan trips to cold places months in advance - the ski-ing's not great here.

nipi:
We did thanks. There again, I have to plan trips to cold places months in advance - the ski-ing's not great here.

I must admit we take a lot of the good with a little of the bad. People plan fishing trips to Alaska a year in advance. I usually call a couple of buddies on Thursday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom