Trip Report, PartII, Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to plan a vaction in July/August. Didn't the Cayman islands get hit by the hurricane, is there still much damage?

There is still a lot of visible damage on Grand Cayman, though I believe the hotels and points of interest for tourism are open. We did not stay there, so do some searching, or start another thread.

Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are fine. You have to look pretty hard to find the damage.

bleach:
We did one, and it was the most amazing dive we have ever done.(not our 1st night dive) Mostly for one reason. "string of pearls" If anyone knows exactly what they are, please post.
Brian

I just got back from Roatan where I did a bunch of diving and the last dive was a night dive off west end about 200 Yards or so. After a bit of cruising on the wall at night we lay down on our backs in about 25 feet of water and killed the torches. After a minute or so the "Pearls" started to appear. After 5 minutes their were literally hundreds if not thousands of strings shimmering in the darkness and creating so much light that I could see those around me.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SO COOL!

It rates higher than feeding brain coral at night!

The DM said they are a bioluminescent form of bacteria that "line up" in the water.
Whatever they are, they are something everyone should experience at least once.

Scooter Out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom