Trip Report: Raja Ampat abord the Indo Siren - Dec 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the trip report. RA is on my dream list...I'm almost whimpering from jealousy. Always happy to hear good feedback about the Siren boats. We are booked on a Maldives trip with them in October, a mere 184 days from now.

I agree with flying into makassar. It is a nice airport. Jakarta is not. I flew in at midnight to find the transit hotel did not get my booking, and since they werevfully booked i had to sleep outside waiting for my flight to.... Makassar! Luckily i somehow thoughtto pull out my bcd, orally inflate, and with that and my wetsuit i created a somehat comfortable bed.

MA - Genius Idea with regards to the makeshift bed! I will try to remember this if the same kind of situation and I have my dive kit with me!

Winsu I'm glad you never missed my report :wink: RA is amazing and you need to get there.

Franz I'm sure you will love the boat, people and of course the incredible diving.
Singapore to Manado to Sorong is the most direct route especially if you are flying Sing Air. All your luggage will definitely get to Manado and then you only need to worry about the one leg from Manado to Sorong.

Thank you for the great advice. It is so confusing trying to figure out where to fly, good connections etc, that this is such valuable advice. Have to say, I will still need my little spreadsheet on how to figure the flights and connections with all the layovers...but you guys already know that!

The one advantage to flying from Jakarta to Sorong through Makassar is you are already on the plane and aren't meeting one in Makassar. If the flight is screwed up at least you won't miss it. That was true for Express Air but I don't know about others.

I didn't know Makassar had rooms. Good info. My favorite part about Sorong was watching one guy pass an entire 737 worth of luggage through a little door to the terminal, while we waited sweating. And count on the flight being delayed coming out of Sorong and hope you'll be pleasantly disappointed to be on time. :)

Nice report, great reading!

My favorite part about Sorong was watching one guy pass an entire 737 worth of luggage through a little door to the terminal, while we waited sweating.
Ha ha ha That is so true AND how funny is it that they pass the baggae through this tiny hole in the wall!!

Thanks Divewench1 and to the rest of you that enjoyed the report! One day I'll find some time to edit the hours of video footage! One day!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom