Trip report; Scuba Show, Long Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
Persistence has it's benefits. Nice to meet you too Kimber.

Tobin
Well... knowing that Tobin is one cool innovator, he'll probably come up with something for next year that will overshadow the shark cage! :crafty:

Christian

Does anyone know what the rationale is behind not letting anyone sell gear at the show is?

It seems odd to me, but I figure there must be a reason.

Christian

headhunter:
Does anyone know what the rationale is behind not letting anyone sell gear at the show is?

It seems odd to me, but I figure there must be a reason.

Christian

BTW - not everyone was prohibited from selling gear. I bought a couple of dry bags, Jaye bought books and beads. The wetsuit makers were taking orders, as were the travel people, and the apparel people, and the artist. The organizations were selling memberships.

I can see some issues with some of the advertisers in the show sponsor's publications. I can see issues with exhibitors not charging sales tax and the show sponsors not wanting to be a part of that mess. I can see security issues (did you buy that or just walk off with it?) I can see there being conflicts between manufacturers who are exibiting and the retailers that are exibiting (MSRP v. MAP v. "Show Special Price".) If I go to the Ike booth, and only 2 or 3 Ike dealers out of a national dealer network of (say) 200 are there - what's Ike supposed to do? Send me to one booth over? Sell it to me himself? Stick it to his other 197 dealers? Could Ike have put together a "show special" and sent me to a local dealer? Sure. Are these guys that together...? You make the call. Heck - Ryan from Reef in KC (an Ike dealer) was there - tells you about the draw of this show. Backscatter from NoCal was there. Wetwear (custom wetsuits from FL) was there slugging it out with a couple of SoCal custom wetsuit dealers. It wasn't just SoCal vendors / dealers.

I can see the technology adding to the expense of exhibiting (telco drop for credit cards, etc.) I can see issues with people charging the door on day 1 because everything would be gone by day 2 (well, all the good stuff anyway.) There are storage issues, overnight security of the stock issues, and there may even be union / venue issues with it.

Then there is the whole selling life support gear at a trade show issue. You how sticky internet sales of this stuff is. They're surely not going to compel buyers to produce a log book, let alone a C-card at purchase. This stuff is supposed to be sold by qualified dive shops to buyers the diveshops have qualified or trained, etc, etc. The shops I went by all had Show Specials going... pick up a flier, or commit to the deal, come to the shop and we'll get you your stuff at the show price. With this show There are no entry requirements (as in Trade only, certified divers only, etc.) so I wouldn't expect to be able to buy real stuff (life support) here.

That's what eBay is for.... :wink:

There are lots of reasons for not selling at the SCUBA show. Its just funny that the only people NOT selling at the scuba show are the Scuba gear dealers and retailers. All of the fringe exhibitors were in fact selling.

---
Ken

PS: Kimber / Christian - I didn't even see the cage until AFTER I left Tobin's booth. I was coming down the aisle, not walking up from the food area... too funny. I was in his booth for like 10 minutes, chatting him up... this bigazz cage just over my shoulder... never saw it until I left. :11:

headhunter:
Well... knowing that Tobin is one cool innovator, he'll probably come up with something for next year that will overshadow the shark cage! :crafty:

Christian

Working on it already, it's called a new booth location........:D

Tobin

From talking with one of the people in the booths, they couldn't sell anything that went in the water at the show. Didn't stop them from taking my info and then having them ship it to me, got a good deal on an XS SCUBA weight belt. I was suprised DAN wasn't there.

sb_diver:
From talking with one of the people in the booths, they couldn't sell anything that went in the water at the show. Didn't stop them from taking my info and then having them ship it to me, got a good deal on an XS SCUBA weight belt. I was suprised DAN wasn't there.

The sales ban is only on "cash and carry"

Tobin

sb_diver:
DAN was there!

They were right next to the food place.

Christian

Mo2vation:
Even though this isn't a trade-only show, it still blows.
Trade goods for money - trade show. :wink:

cool_hardware52:
The sales ban is only on "cash and carry"
Cash, carry or both? Credit card? Shopping cart? :11:

Ken, Christian, good seeing you if ever so briefly. Same with Jen and John.

caveseeker7:
Ken, Christian, good seeing you if ever so briefly. Same with Jen and John.
Stefan,

It was great to see you too! Hope that pulled muscle is feeling better.

See you soon.

Christian

I just got an e-mail from hollywood divers I won a price from their little scavenger hunt. I get one of those nifty dive boxes on wheels.

Back
Top Bottom