Trip Report USS NH 05/07 and Nile's Beach 05/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Went out with North Atlantic Expeditions to the wreck of the USS New Hampshire on 05/07. They were teaching a Trimix class with 3 other students so I was the only one diving singles and in a wetsuit.

Visibility was pretty good although I am not the best judgement, maybe 15-20'. About 5 minutes into the dive one of my regulators started free flowing and I was unable to fix it underwater so I ascended and went back to the boat to swap it out. Luckily, had an extra regulator and didn't lose too much air so continued on with same tank.

Swapped out my 2nd stage and continued the dive for another 28 minutes. I was diving wet and the temperature I got on my computer was about 48f degrees although to be fair I think my computer reads a bit too high. Max depth I got was 36ft. I just swam around the wreck (or what's left of it) for a bit and then went up into the rocks to see if I could get lucky enough and find some famous Paul Revere spikes. No luck unfortunately but a nice dive.

Nothing too exciting, some small lobsters and a couple skates. Got a little cold so came up with plenty of air.

On surface it was thunder/lightening and pouring so I opted not to do a 2nd dive. If the weather had been a little warmer and without rain I would have tried to do a second dive but there was no way I was going to be able to stay warm.

Today (05/08), went out to Nile's Beach in Gloucester with another buddy (scubaboard member knfmn) and did a very nice 42 minute shore dive. Max depth was 21ft. Visibility I think was around 15'.

Cape Ann Divers just had a big group in the water doing some checkout dives (I believe) so we entered as they were leaving and pretty much had the dive site to ourselves. I had never dove Nile's Beach before but I thought it was a pretty good site. Mostly sandy bottom but as we got out a bit further there were some small rocks.

I honestly think we saw about 20+ winter skates; They were everywhere. 3 very small lobsters and one decent sized flounder that I managed to get to swim into my catch bag but ended up letting it go.

My computer said temperature was 49f degrees but I think it reads few degrees higher. All and All, a great Sunday dive.

Probably my favorite local dive of the year so far. The water is definitely starting to warm up and life is returning. Just did the one dive and then went for some food and beers after.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post macado. Niles is one of my favorites, and it's tough to get people excited about it. Indeed it's the place to see skates!

I commend you on your adventurous spirit! 49 degrees, even when accurate, is still a bit too chilly for me. :)

I actually enjoyed it; Very easy shore dive. Doesn't look like it would be a great place for lobstering but I still couldn't believe how many skates I saw.

Kudos Mac...Dove CCBay Sat wet...Frikkin cold..would of dove dry,but it's the price I pay for a solo dive. North shore is Great Divin

I've never dove the NH, what's left, just timber?

Not too much left just timber, outline in sand. Apparently if you go up into the rocks and dig you can occasionally find copper spikes and artifacts but I've never found anything.

I've only dove there twice; Looks like it might ok for lobstering in the summer.

There are still plenty more there to be found. We can usually find 2 or 3 each time we go there. You have to know what to look for. They are not usually laying ou timn the open. They are buried in the concretion.

There are still plenty more there to be found. We can usually find 2 or 3 each time we go there. You have to know what to look for. They are not usually laying ou timn the open. They are buried in the concretion.

Thanks. I'm going to try to dive there again a few times and look. Someone was telling me you need to go up into the rocks and sort of dig around in the clumps. Is that the best way to really look?

Back
Top Bottom