Trip to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick:
We dove with Manta divers 2 years ago and really like the op. Keep in mind They are in Mexico so things aren't quite like the US. Scheduleing is a little lax but go with the flow. The op is owned by a couple out of Texas who moved there.

Great to hear! As a veteran of many island trips, we learned how to "go with the flow" years ago....it's part of the adventure! Thanks!

I think if you were in Cancun, you wouldn't want to take a boat to Cozumel, unless you got a tough gut. Cozumel is about 20 miles away, thus it would take an hour or more easily by boat. On my dives there, every trip there were casualty from sea sickness even for a short 20 minute ride.

If you wanted to dive in Cozumel, and are paying for your own hotel, I would take a shuttle to playza del carmen, and a boat across. The hotels are very affordable in the off season, and not too bad in the busy season. Then you can do all the Cozumel diving you want.

If you are staying in Cancun only, stay and dive there. But don't take a boat trip to Coz just to say you dove there.

There is a new dive shop opening on Nov. 1. It's at km5.5 on the hotel zone, Mayan Aqua Dive. I dove with the owner/instructor the end of Aug. The boats are fast, have showers on board and have quick access to the water. You walk out to the pool and they are about 100ft from the back door.

He is now registered on SB. ben@mayanaquadive is his screen name. He'll treat you and the ladies right. Ask him about the resort package.

I dove for a week with Manta Ray divers and had a great time. I made a total of 10 dives, including night dives and a 2 tank cavern dive. The divemasters and instructors were great, Alex, Miguel and Lief did an awesome job. The owners are a bit strange and don't seem to really care for what they are doing but once you get on the boat it's great.

hiway18:
I dove for a week with Manta Ray divers and had a great time. I made a total of 10 dives, including night dives and a 2 tank cavern dive. The divemasters and instructors were great, Alex, Miguel and Lief did an awesome job. The owners are a bit strange and don't seem to really care for what they are doing but once you get on the boat it's great.

Just got back and agree with hiway 18. We did a couple of dives with Manta. The wreck dive was o.k....lot's of current, but manageable. I forget the name of the reef, but I wasn't overly-thrilled with it, (we just dove Cayman a couple of months ago, so it's probably an unfair comparison)

We dove the Cenotes, with Leif. That was a lot of fun...definitely a unique experience and well worth it...

Spratman:
There is a new dive shop opening on Nov. 1. It's at km5.5 on the hotel zone, Mayan Aqua Dive. I dove with the owner/instructor the end of Aug. The boats are fast, have showers on board and have quick access to the water. You walk out to the pool and they are about 100ft from the back door.

He is now registered on SB. ben@mayanaquadive is his screen name. He'll treat you and the ladies right. Ask him about the resort package.

I just got back from Cancun on Friday and dove with Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive for two days. The water was pretty rough, but he told me that the March/April timeframe usually has very good conditions for diving. We still saw a reasonably good assortment of sealife, and fairly nice coral. We couldn't do the wreck dive due to the rough seas. Ben went out both days, and he understands the value of customer service. He has a very friendly staff, a nice boat, and most importantly, strongly believes in small group dives. We never dove with more than four divers and the dive master. He has all new equipment (Mare) and charges very reasonable prices. I plan on diving with him again next year! His website is www.mayanaquadive.com. I also did Cenotes and Cozumel from Cancun 3 years ago, and they are basically all day trips. I went with Manta Dives for those. Cancun Dives is just up the street from Ben's operation, and the one day I saw them going out, they had LOTS of people on the boat - no fun in my book. Well, that's my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy! If you do go to Mayan Aqua Dive, tell him that Jim from NJ says hello!

I dove Cancun last year for the first time in March I did two, two morning dives. First warm water dive also. The vis was great, the water was warm and the sea life was wonderful. Water was a little choppy one day. Only one person got sick of the five of us. The second day there was six. Small groups where nice.

But what do I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom