Trip to Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My club is looking at making a trek up to Monterey in 2004, so I was wondering...is any time of the year better than any other up there? My sweetie and I will dive dry, but most of the others dive wet.

Let us know when, and maybe several of the local Monterey crowd can come meet all of you and get in a few dives.

Right now, Monterey is nasty, but it was reasonably fine beginning around early May through the Summer. I'm not sure how it was prior to May.

The vis seemed to be around 20 ft in many locations during the Summer, but it has opened up a few times since the winter started to set in. I've not yet experienced the entire Winter diving in Monterey, but am told the vis opens up nicely.

Due to a succession of storms through the area, the swell right now makes it interesting diving in many locations, to say the least.

Any specific boat recommendations?

When the weather is good (i.e. no storms), then diving Monterey in the winter can be a lot of fun. We're planning on diving there the end of January and February next year.

I did my OW course in Monterey during the month of January in '87, and besides the above water temps being colder and fog in the morning, the diving was great. My wife did her OW course in February of '98. It rained just slightly during the weekend, but the visibility and water conditions were perfect.

My wife dives dry, and I use a Henderson Gold 5/7 mm one piece with a 3mm hood/vest combo. I usually start getting cold after 30 to 40 minutes at an average depth of 40' or so. If memory serves me correct, the water temps in Monterey change from 48° and 58° throughout the year. It can get cold in the winters, but we're kind of use to it.

I've never done a boat dive in Monterey, so I can't help you there. Other's on the list will probably have more to add though.

Let us know when you plan to make the trip. We're always looking for a reason to do some extra diving.

~ Jason

I've been on the Monterey Express and the Escapade, and both are good. Some folks prefer one or the other, but I didn't see much difference between the two.

I will say that my best dive in Monterey has been off of the Escapade, but that should not sway you either way.

I would have to say my best dives have been during the winter months. The water is usually warmer with good vis. My last three trips in the last month to monterey have been a steady 55deg water temp. The problem during the summer is plankton bloom which leads to lousy vis. So for me the best time of the year to dive monterey is in the winter between storms. I have seen the water temp in the summer drop to the mid 40's.

I have dove most of the popular boats in monterey and have no complaints with any of them. I personally think they all do a great job. Check out http://californiadiveboats.com for local dive boats.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Any specific boat recommendations?
The Cypress Sea is nice in that you get a 3 tank dive (I believe that the others are both 2 tanks).

In general, the water is warmer and the viz is better in the Winter in Monterey. Yes. Wamer and better viz in Winter.

The warmest dives I have done in Monterey were November (57 degrees at depth). The coldest were May (47 degrees at depth). October dives were in the mid 50's, and August was in the low 50's.

The further south you go (in general) like towards Carmel and Pt Lobos, the colder it gets, and (in general) the better the diving is. However, there are some great spots right in Monterey for shore or boat diving.

I have only used the Monterey Express, and I have been very pleased. If holds about 20 divers (give or take) and you can sign up online. They do a good job, and they have taken us to a variety of spots.

I have heard good things about the Cypress Sea, but I have never used them. (it is on my list to be able to compare the two)

Breakwater is the most popular shore dive location. It is used by maybe 70% of the people that get certified in Monterey for the ocean dives. My instructor stays away from Breakwater because it is so crowded. However, there are some facilities there, two dive shops within walking distance and a lot of things to see. If you dive a little further out than the classes, you get a chance to dive with a LOT of sea lions.

There are several other shore dive locations, such as Lover's Cove that are real nice. However, the boats take you even better places.

As stated elsewhere, keep the "locals" informed about your plans, and some of us will try to join up with your group!

Just my opinions, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

Try to go to point lobos. I think there is a boat that goes there on thursdays. You might want to shore dive there as well. The boat will take you places where its a very long swim to.
http://www.cypresscharters.com
I've never used them but hopefully sometime I'll be able to do that dive. I think they take out a zodiak so it might be somewhat limited on the number of people.

For a trip with a bunch of people there are a couple of considerations. I think the visibility is usually much better in the winter. Unfortuneately there are also storms that come in and may make boat diving and shore diving hard to do. I think the summer is generally less likely to have storms but the visibility usually isn't great.

Hmmm...I'd hate to drive up there and get washed out...but I'm sure there are other things to do. Maybe the fall, then? That's really interesting about the water temperature being warmer in the winter...are there any theories as to why that's so?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom