Trip to Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best Monterey diving is generally about
right now, between storms (though there's
a big shortage of "between" this year). I've
seen 90' vis on New Years Eve. When the
storms get serious in Jan, Feb, early March,
we can go four or five weekends without
being able to get in the water. Then things
get good again (but not as good as now)
till about May or June, when the sun grows
the green till about September, then it
starts getting better again. But you can
have great or horrid days anytime.

Cypress Charters doesn't use a Zodiac for
their occasional Thursday Pt. Lobos trips.
They use theCypress Sea , which is 50 feet.
Pt. Lobos has a rule that all divers have to
check in at the gate, so you load your gear
on the Cypress Sea in Monterey, drive to
Pt. Lobos, check in, park and swim out to
the boat. It's a good way to enjoy Carmel
diving for those susceptible to mal de mer.

There are no bad boats in Monterey.
Best one is my own Boston Whaler ( ;-)
I don't do charters), but the Cypress Sea ,
Monterey Express, Escapade, Beach
Hopper
are all good boats.

If I were going to pick a time, I'd say
mid-May or late September.

My wife and I were on the Monterey Express on Sat. It was our first time and we were impressed. The dive brief was thorough, great boat (with lots of elbow room) and helpful, friendly crew. We have had very poor experiences on one of the above named boats so we were extremely happy with the trip.

Vis was around 35'. We stayed in Monterey since Carmel was experiencing large swells. There were several sea lions that followed the two of us on both our dives and "play chicken" with us! It was a little unnerving in the beginning but I guess they were just playing. It still was an amazing experience. Let us know when you are coming up. Us locals would love to have an excuse to dive some more!

When you are checking out boats at

http://californiadiveboats.com/

you might also check out who is chartering them that day and find out what they are doing with it . Many have classes aboard. If you have beginners with you check out friendly Fridays on the Cypress Sea. Also watch your dates if you need lodging. If you pick a time that coincides with a big race at Laguna Seca or other big event, prices for rooms skyrocket.The Lone Oak Lodge is diver friendly,has a rinse area and is cheaper than some.

http://www.loneoaklodge.com/

The only decent camping I have found nearby is at the county park at Laguna Seca.

http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/

When my son and I did our AOW in Monterey we could have gone to Cabo for what we spent.There was a big auto show that weekend. and we were lucky to get a room. Hope we can be there when you come.

kelpmermaid:
Any specific boat recommendations?

The shop where I work (I'm not sure if DMing classes count as work if you don't get paid...) uses the Cypress Sea. Its a good boat with a good crew. The benefits are that you get three tanks instead of two. Also, it has onboard compressors for both air and nitrox. So, you just get on the boat, hook your BC up to one of the boat's tanks, depending on whether you want air or nitrox, and then between dives you just unhook your reg and they top you off.

If your going to Monterey you must dive the Pinnacles in Carmel and Aumentos Reef in Monterey!! If the conditions are right that is.

Back
Top Bottom