trip to NC in Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sstorck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

This would be my first trip to NC to do some diving. Living in Maryland i cant believe it took me this long to discover it. However, i am looking on some advise on where to go what operators are good. In addition what dive sites are "not to miss". I have heard Wilmington and Hatteras are good but thats about it.

Thanks for your help

Steve

I have used Olympus in Morehead City on 4 different trips. I was there a couple weeks ago. Viz was marginal. If you want to go this Thursday and Friday I would consider it. I called them and they have some openings..

I used Olympus the first week of July while in Morehead City, great operation. Visit their website here: Olympus Dive Center

Obviously, do not miss the U-352.

Other dives to do are the Spar and Aeolus (tons of sand tigers on both wrecks), and the Papoose (a.k.a Hutton). On the Papoose/Hutton you can spend time picking up shark teeth.

Be prepared for some additional costs (tank rentals, Nitrox and fuel surcharges). Take your lunch and drinks on the boat.

Eat at Floyd's a few blocks from Olympus Diving Center. Beach Bums, also close by had pretty good pizza. Also visit Ioanni's Grill between Olympus and the aquarium. Great local bar, and great bar food (pizza, wings etc.). Do not eat at Captain Bill's. Just go there at 6PM to see the mother otter and pups, and then run away.

I've gone out with Discovery out of Beaufort. Wonderful diving. Cowjazz lists some of my favorite spots. Also liked the Indra, Carib Sea, and the Spar. Go by the Aquarium if you need a refresher on Fish IDing.

AL

I have used both Olympus and Discovery. I'm a little partial to Olympus, usually stay at their bunkhouse, which is a two minute walk from the boat.

Planning to head down, the last week of this month, hopefully the upwelling will have cleared out by then.

Steve,

From May to November, I make the drive down to Morehead City (7 hours) once or twice a month to dive with Olympus . They are an exceptional operator. They utilize a roll call for accountability and run a great, safe shop. Whether you dive off Olympus with George, Bud and Mark or off Midnight Express with Bobby, Fred and John you'll have a great time. Lately, the vis has left a little to be desired (as of week before last) with the upwelling but the dives were still great. We'll be down there the weekend after next so maybe I'll see you there.

Give Nema a call and see if they have any spots open. Olympus Dive Center

Allen

The Spar is a former USCG buoy tender and is an artificial reef - great for penetration training and has only been on the bottom 7 or 8 years.

The Atlas is another great wreck with lots of fish, lots of sand tigers and normally good viz.

The Caribsea is also heavy on fish and sandtigers but the viz can be more hit or miss as it is shallower/closer in shore. But if the viz is good it is a great dive with lots of bottom time.

I saw some very large female sand tigers on both the Atlas and the Spar and ST teeth are everywhere.

I like Bobby Cox and the Diver Down. I think he had a rough year or so while he was battling cancer and his reputation took a hit in some of the more technical circles, but he ran a very good boat in June and I'd book with him again. It is a crew boat but is only a 12 pack and it is nice compared to a 25-30 diver cattle boat.

Well, first I'll plug the boat I work for- the Mutiny- Atlantic Beach and Morehead City , North Carolina Wreck Diving and Dive Charters to the NC Shipwrecks
That done, most of the other boats in the area are safe and crewed by a good group. I won't get into the Cox/ Cowan thing, which is what DA is referring to. As for the wrecks he lists, I'd have to add the Schurz- almost every time I have been there, its had beautiful rays. The Atlas- I know I can't be the only one that has, umm, strange feelings on that wreck- am I? I really can't put my finger on exactly why, its not the vis, as I have seen much worse on other wrecks. The Aeolus is the best of the AR program, it has more of a wreck feel since it was torn up by the hurricane.
-J

Back
Top Bottom