Trip to SanDiego coming up 2/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all:

I am coming down to SanDiego (from Portland, OR) the evening of Saturday February 26th for a business trip, and am available to dive on Sunday the 27th. Any suggestions? Usually I like to do a charter when I'm travelling, as it takes care of lots of details. However I'm up for shore diving as well if anybody is going out.

If anybody could recommend a charter in the area, as well as a place to rent tanks and weights I would appreciate it. Also, what are the water temps down there this time of year? Will my 3-5-3mm wetsuit work? Or are we talking drysuit temps?

Thanks,

Jerry

geraldp:
Hi all:

I am coming down to SanDiego (from Portland, OR) the evening of Saturday February 26th for a business trip, and am available to dive on Sunday the 27th. Any suggestions? Usually I like to do a charter when I'm travelling, as it takes care of lots of details. However I'm up for shore diving as well if anybody is going out.

If anybody could recommend a charter in the area, as well as a place to rent tanks and weights I would appreciate it. Also, what are the water temps down there this time of year? Will my 3-5-3mm wetsuit work? Or are we talking drysuit temps?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry - check out Dive Connections, Inc. They have boats going out all the time and rent most of the gear you need. Temps are in the low to high 50's right now depending on where you are and how deep. It seems most people get by just fine with a 7 mm (hooded vest would be a plus I hear) but a drysuit would be nice if you can bring one.

Good luck!
Paul

OK I made a reservation with Dive Connections to dive the Los Coronodos Islands.

My choice was the two wrecks (Yukon and Ruby), Coronodos Islands, and an afternoon dive in the kelp beds. They all sound great, however I haven't done any wreck dives before, so I thought I would avoid a deep wreck dive. Does anybody have any experiences to relate with the Coronodos islands?

Thanks,

Jerry

geraldp:
OK I made a reservation with Dive Connections to dive the Los Coronodos Islands.

My choice was the two wrecks (Yukon and Ruby), Coronodos Islands, and an afternoon dive in the kelp beds. They all sound great, however I haven't done any wreck dives before, so I thought I would avoid a deep wreck dive. Does anybody have any experiences to relate with the Coronodos islands?

Thanks,

Jerry

You will love it.........one of the best spots in SD.

I agree Los Coronado's is a great place to dive as well. Visibility is usually very good and if you like Sea Lions the dive spot Lobster Shacks is a good one!

geraldp:
Hi all:

Also, what are the water temps down there this time of year? Will my 3-5-3mm wetsuit work? Or are we talking drysuit temps?

Jerry

If 3-5-3 means the tickest part of your suit is 5mm then you might be a bit cold unles you are unusally tolerent of cold water. I'd recommend a good 7mm suit that fits well.

Water temp this time of year at depth is "mid 50s" higher at the surface. Most divers use a 7mm suit. Some will put a hooded vest on under the suit. A few use drysuits although they are not required.

ChrisA:
If 3-5-3 means the thickest part of your suit is 5mm then you might be a bit cold unles you are unusally tolerent of cold water. I'd recommend a good 7mm suit that fits well.

Water temp this time of year at depth is "mid 50s" higher at the surface. Most divers use a 7mm suit. Some will put a hooded vest on under the suit. A few use drysuits although they are not required.
OK you guys have talked me into bringing my drysuit... I don't like to be cold. :)

Back
Top Bottom