Trip Video, Socorro, November/December 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the week before, the even more unusual sighting as it concerned the white tips was finding the caves on the east side of the rock pretty much empty of sharks. The big one had 2 sharks in it. And two lobsters pretending to be mountain climbers on that sheer vertical wall.

Lucky you!

When I was there, they were always sleeping in the Balconies.

Did you wake them up?

DSC_0006.jpeg

DSC_0010-b.jpeg

On the week before, the even more unusual sighting as it concerned the white tips was finding the caves on the east side of the rock pretty much empty of sharks. The big one had 2 sharks in it. And two lobsters pretending to be mountain climbers on that sheer vertical wall.
For whatever reason, they were mostly out and about on all my dives there this year. The video is from the first dive of the day.

Are you going to do, Or have you done a trip report?
I don’t write trip reports. My various trip video serves as a report on what I see.

Everyone has different tastes and standards. For example, whilst I usually find food on liveaboards to be poor and I therefore prefer to eat very selectively, many other divers that I share trips with enjoy LOB meals and eat heartily. One German diver explained to me that he hardly gets the opportunity to dine out in his on shore life and that he has to cook for himself, therefore he very much enjoyed endless quantities of food that is prepared for him. I come from a totallly different food culture where I frequently dine out and am very selective about the quality of food outlets that I frequent.

Likewise, as someone who usually jumps onto a LOB once or twice a month, my view of good or above average service tends to be very different from other LOB guests. I think it’s usually best for me to not comment on things other then the marine life.

Nice video. We're heading there on the Belle Amie, late February.

With all the talk about camera gear duties, I'm planning on stripping my photo kit down to the minimum and basically smuggling it in. I'm going back and forth between a 10-17 fisheye/minidome and a 12-24 rectilinear/8" dome. Can I ask how close you were to the large animals? With the fisheye, I need to be pretty much in their faces. With the 12-24, it has more reach... I call it my shark lens since it's easier to fill the frame. On the other hand, I can shoot near macro with the mini-dome, but I don't really anticipate shooting lobsters! I'd appreciate your thoughts!

I'm also curious about the particulate in the water. The "brochure" always has the perfect clear water. Did you find it a little murky?

Nice video. We're heading there on the Belle Amie, late February.

With all the talk about camera gear duties, I'm planning on stripping my photo kit down to the minimum and basically smuggling it in. I'm going back and forth between a 10-17 fisheye/minidome and a 12-24 rectilinear/8" dome. Can I ask how close you were to the large animals? With the fisheye, I need to be pretty much in their faces. With the 12-24, it has more reach... I call it my shark lens since it's easier to fill the frame. On the other hand, I can shoot near macro with the mini-dome, but I don't really anticipate shooting lobsters! I'd appreciate your thoughts!

I'm also curious about the particulate in the water. The "brochure" always has the perfect clear water. Did you find it a little murky?
This was my third time to Socorro at this time of year. I have had better visibility before. You may want to check out the other two videos, either on my YouTube channel or here on this board to see the difference in visibility.

I was sufficiently close to the tiger that it filled the frame of my GH5M2 with the 12-60 mm lens set at 12mm. The white tips were shot with a GoPro 11 set to wide so some of them got really close to me. I recalled that some of the hammerheads were recorded with a little zoom on the GH5 because the zoom knob had moved without my noticing it.

If you check the other 2 videos, the oldest was recorded on a Sony RX100 M6ii with the lens set at the widest setting. The second was recorded on a GoPro 11 with the camera set to linear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom