Trip Video, Socorro, November/December 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was my third time to Socorro at this time of year. I have had better visibility before. You may want to check out the other two videos, either on my YouTube channel or here on this board to see the difference in visibility.

I was sufficiently close to the tiger that it filled the frame of my GH5M2 with the 12-60 mm lens set at 12mm. The white tips were shot with a GoPro 11 set to wide so some of them got really close to me. I recalled that some of the hammerheads were recorded with a little zoom on the GH5 because the zoom knob had moved without my noticing it.

If you check the other 2 videos, the oldest was recorded on a Sony RX100 M6ii with the lens set at the widest setting. The second was recorded on a GoPro 11 with the camera set to linear.
Great information thanks!

Great information thanks!
I forgot to mention a couple of things.

If you check my first video, you will see exactly how close the whale shark came to me. Also, when you see the dolphin eye, I was holding the camera in my right hand whilst fending off the dolphin with my left hand.

If you check the second video, you will see how close the mantas got to me. There was a clip in which the manta’s tail knocked into me, but I excluded it from the video for various reasons.

Wow! Yea I froze to death in a 5mil and 5/3 hooded vest. I think I need to learn how to drysuit!

Thank you for sharing. Socorro is a great destination. I found the Explorer to be a great dive platform. I was there in May a couple of years ago. Solo hammers and no Tiger!

Reactions: CWK
Wow, you dive Socoro in a west only? That's hardcore
I was there in March 2021, conditions where super rough and was freezing my ass off in 5mm. Thinking to take my dry suit the next time.
Nice video, thanks for sharing.
November and December water is warmer. Been twice over Xmas and the water temp was 76-81F but mostly 77-79 range.

November and December water is warmer. Been twice over Xmas and the water temp was 76-81F but mostly 77-79 range.
Just got back and water temps were 76-78F. The told us to expect 75 on average so we got a little lucky.

I broke down and bought a 5mm and have a 3/5 hooded vest, so I should be good for next month. My weenie Missus is renting an 8mm Waterproof suit from a weenie dive shop owner near us. (It's her personal suit) so she should be good to go as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom