Triple Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Operating at 2250 psi you would have 90 cf using aluminum 40s and weight about 45 pounds and go about 6 pounds psitive at end of dive empty. The weight of the valve would offset that some and the faux end caps could be made from brass to add weight. The weight would be on the bottom where aluminum tanks are light when empty.The end caps are simply to make the tanks look vintage--in shape.

Yeah, the bushings, well, since I was not much around during the heyday of bushings I cannot say what the reliability factor is, I have never heard of one coming out--lol. The bushings I have look awfully strong, stainless steel, I suspect they are stronger than either the tank or the valve. For inspection, I would remove the tank from the bushing, not the valve from the bushing.

N

Fishboy, bushing strength depends on materials and thickness. Bushings for a 3/4 inch NPTS neck would have to be steel or stainless steel. Bushings that I made for the 1 inch NPTS neck are chrome plated brass. I see no problem with WP up to 3000 psi with any of these types. As to the Nemrod manifold; like all Nemrod products, the manifold is somewhat crude but over built. For example, about the hole which runs through the arms--each arm was drilled from both ends and the two holes rarely mate exactly. However, the heavy brass construction of the main body could probably withstand 10,000-15,000 psi before bursting. Same for the arms which are machined as a single piece from a thick billet. The threaded ends and bushings are plenty strong for any normal tank pressure. Sometimes, the interior of the main body is not exactly smooth leading to a small leak but usually this problem is found with older manifolds which have retained a small amount of rubber residue. Cleaning usually fixes it.

I'm thinking that LP Steel 46's may work. I've found 2 Yellow and 1 Green locally with other instructors. No idea yet if they want to part with them. The 2 Yellow ones were used in doubles setup by one instructors son when he was 12, he's now 15 and using twin 120's.

I suspect the 46's are 3/4" ?

fishb0y:
But like you said, its easy to only fill to 2250. I worry more about the bushings.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the bushings. I can't recall ever hearing horror stories of bushings letting loose back in the day.
I would worry more about those who worry about bushings- LOL!- i.e. LDSs that won't fill them because they think they "can't".

Well, I just commited to the Triple Manifold:D . I'm Going to go with the bands here in Canada(Since there is no hope of getting Vintage ones) and either the Faber LP46's or OMS LP50's (Both are still being manufactured). Will this still be considered a Vintage Rig with New Steel Tanks and Bands, or should I pursue Vintage Tanks?

There is nothing wrong with reproductions of the vintage gear. IMHO as long as the equipment looks like the vintage item it represents, there is nothing wrong with reproductions. Example: Many of us are using new silicone hoses, diaphrams, and mouthpiece valves. They are reproductions. They look the same and function the same. Also, fins, masks, wet suits, weight belts, and harnesses are being reproduced. Churchill, duck feet and Cressi Rondine fins styles reproductions are now available. The best answer to your questions involves research from old catalogs (available on CD) and comparing the new reproductions available to the originals.

simonbeans:
There is nothing wrong with reproductions of the vintage gear. IMHO as long as the equipment looks like the vintage item it represents, there is nothing wrong with reproductions. Example: Many of us are using new silicone hoses, diaphrams, and mouthpiece valves. They are reproductions. They look the same and function the same. Also, fins, masks, wet suits, weight belts, and harnesses are being reproduced. Churchill, duck feet and Cressi Rondine fins styles reproductions are now available. The best answer to your questions involves research from old catalogs (available on CD) and comparing the new reproductions available to the originals.
And then there is the Phoenix Nozzle on a DA Aqua Master. Not vintage, but it is being used.

If it looks vintage and acts vintage then it is vintage enough for me. I think you will have a nice rig. I would go with the bands from Vic in Canada and I bet Simmonbeans could make you a harness for them.

As to the Phoenix and vintage, not all double hose diving is vintage or intended to be.

One of the reasons for using the modern bands---read as stronger, more duarable and better looking--is because, well, they are stronger. They will support the heavy triple set better and provide a stronger support of the manifold and more solid alignment.

Good luck.

N

If you can swing it, get the tanks that will get you wet for now, and get the vintage when you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom