Tripod Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I primarily shoot stills, but I like to shoot a little video as well. I have a Canon 5d mark 3 in an Ikelite housing. I'm thinking of screwing a gorilla pod into the base of the housing and use it as a tripod. The problem is that it's a pain in the butt to do multiple times on a dive. Are there any quick connect attachments that I could use to do this, or any other easy tripod ideas. Thanks...

The big model of the gorillapod has a ball head with acra-swiss type quick release clamp. Just screw the plate onto your camera tray and you should be good to go. EDIT actually the head is separate but I have seen packages with both combined.

No ideal how long the head will hold up in saltwater, though (or the tripod, for that matter), even with rinsing in fresh. Might be best just to screw it in by hand.

The Joby large gorilla pod has a quick release plate that you screw onto housing. Easy on, easy off. It is probably good for what you want to do.
Joby also has an larger quick release plate that you can attach a hand strap.

the Xit 404 tripod is heavier and a little more difficult to handle underwater so it is more suited for a videographer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom