Tropical Hypothermia???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost sounds like a paid post :) but seriously thanks for the information, being new I never knew about these.

One other thing I forgot to mention...

One of the good things about the 30/30 for warm water/climates is that there are ankle seals and you wear regular dive booties. Helps to keep you cooler than if you were completely "in a bag" like the White's fusion or any other regular drysuit.

As for trying one out, DUI has demonstration days(Dog Days) all over the country. I expect an email would let you find if they put 30/30s on the rack of demo suits. Now if they would give you the suit and then send you to the tropics to try it out, that would be cool. They're tempting for me, as I definitely get cold on liveaboard trips, even with my Pinnacle 5mm and a hood.

As for trying one out, DUI has demonstration days(Dog Days) all over the country. I expect an email would let you find if they put 30/30s on the rack of demo suits.

They do indeed have the 30/30 at Demo Days, the problem is they don't do demo days in the tropics. Last year I was at a Demo Days at a quarry in PA where the water temps were in the low 60's...I'm guessing it would be hard to really get a feel for a "tropical" suit in that environment.

I told my LDS they should get some 30/30 rentals and offer them to people going on liveaboard trips, bonaire, etc, with offer to credit rental cost towards purchase of a 30/30 when you return.

I think they'd sell a lot more of these suits!

PS - if anyone from DUI wants to email me, I have an even better 30/30 marketing idea for you!

RJP,

Thank you for the very comprehensive answers to my questions about tropical drysuits both in the warm water and on the boat. Second opinions welcome! Is there anyone else out there that has tried either the DUI 30/30 or the White's Tropical Explorer?

RonGoodman and Phipsi

Thank you for the information on DUI Dog Days. I will try to find one that I can get to... Hopefully they will have one in a location where the water temperature is appropriate for the suit. If what RJP said is true about no drysuit demos in warm water locations, it might be a bit like demo'ing a rash guard in 60 degree water... A bit unfair to the product and very uncomfortable for the customer !:cool2:!

P

P.S. Not that it matters much in the big scheme of things, but I gave each of you official ScubaBoard "THANKS". I know how much time it takes to write a comprehenive, well thought out reply or to research the information needed to answer a specific question with an informational one-liner that includes web links, photos etc. It is my way of expressing gratitude for you taking time out of your day to help me and others like Knotical who want to learn more about Tropical drysuits from divers that have actually used them. Thank you again for detailing your experiences and providing the links I need to do some more of my own research!

RJP - nice post

I went on their website and looked at pricing - looked like $1495 + 150 for undergarments + acc's - for the "standard suit

I'm seriously thinking of this b/c even w/ a 7mm and a hood I'm still cold, especially in the winter here in FL when the tem goes into the 60's - also, you posted how much you like the suit; how did you find the ajustment from wet to dry; what undergarments did you get; did you need instruction?

Do you mind posting what you paid - thanks - or you can PM me if you don't want to post.

Do you mind posting what you paid - thanks - or you can PM me if you don't want to post.

Check here for a good "first stab" at a better price than $1495 list:

DUI 30/30 Tropical Drysuit at www.DiveSeekers.com 1-888-SCUBA-47

I would say that when you're ready to buy, give Jayson or Wayne at DiveSeekers a call directly to discuss pricing. You never know if they might be in a particularly generous mood that day...tell them I sent you and they'll treat you right!

PS - note I wear a set of Patagonia "Capilene 3" pants and shirt under the suit typically in 80deg or so water, sometimes something thicker if water is in lower 70s. Available for less than the DUI undergarment. Plus, I also prefer two-pieces. (And I already owned them for layering under my TLS-350 as well.)

Pro Dive International has demo suits of the DUI 30/30 and TLS 350 in Men's and Women's sizes and have a demo program that goes any day you want it, I believe. A friend of mine told me about getting to use the suit for free since he was a certified drysuit diver. If he wanted to dive with it again, they were going to credit the rental toward his purchase. I would have to imagine that they have a program equally cool if you are not certified in drysuits. I would suggest you look at the website and give them a call. Pro Dive - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Scuba Instructor Training Not sure who to reach out to. Please let me know how it goes as I want to try the TLS and the 30/30 myself.

Last edited:
I own both a White's Tropical and an Oceans Systems SARR (with attached boots). The White's does not breathe - it's a simple, impermeable shell. The ankle seals are a PITA on a moving boat, plus it's a back zip suit so one always has to trust someone to zip it correctly.
The OS suit is a rapid self-donner, since it's designed for rescues under arduous conditions. I can get in that thing and be zipped, locked and loaded in maybe a minute. I can't get into a skin suit or thin wetsuit that quickly.
The White's is a thinner laminate material - pretty tough, but Steve Gamble at Gamble Scuba told me that I have only a few years left before the seams start to delaminate. That will be the end of that suit.
In terms of comfort, in warm water, a nice thin wetsuit is more comfortable and of course requires no adjustments. With any drysuit, you're always going to have to mess with the buoyancy during the dive. Just a fact, Jack.
If you're doing a lot of recreational dives like on a liveaboard, a drysuit will be worth its weight in gold around the 5th dive of the day when you're getting a little chilled and the wetsuit was already clammy two dives ago. Dry is nice for that.
The 30/30 is a great suit - I almost got a used one, and I might have gotten one at DEMA this year except that DUI is not attending. Oh well. That's a LOTTA coin for one though. For $200, I got two used White's Tropicals plus a too-heavy new Pinnacle undergarment. I gave one of the suits to a friend, put about $200 in new seals all around (takes 5), and stored the Pinnacle for diving colder.
I'll dive wet now for a while, until the late fall, and then back into the dry suit (most likely the OS) wearing my shorts and t-shirt under it. Winter and nights, I like warm so I'll wear the OS nylon poopie suit under it.
And always, always the p-valve.

Other questions, fire away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom