Trouble reaching the switch on my Can Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a little trouble reaching it when I'm on the boat... I can get it sometimes, but most of the time I just can't crank over far enough to hit it [in full cold water undergarments]. I just have a buddy hit the switch for me, or I wait until I get in the water. I can hit it fine once I'm under.

d33ps1x:
Have you considered losing the weight pockets instead? :D

Actually I did for a few weeks. I tried the weighted (6 lb.)STA and the 6lb plate and 2 lb bullet on the waist but the ACB just feels better.

Spectre:
I have a little trouble reaching it when I'm on the boat... I can get it sometimes, but most of the time I just can't crank over far enough to hit it [in full cold water undergarments]. I just have a buddy hit the switch for me, or I wait until I get in the water. I can hit it fine once I'm under.

I can get my buddy to hit it but I like to be self sufficient. :) I was able to turn it off under water after the dive but I was a royal pain.

CALI68:
Oh ok I got it now. I use 18lbs. 6lb plate, two of the smallest ACB pockets (ACB12) one with a 5 ponder in it and the other with a 3 pounder in it next to the light. The light is roughly 2.5 pounds and my Jets are 2lbs Negative.

18lbs.

What I would do is Ebay the ACB pockets, pick up a pair of trim weight pockets (~$25-$45) and put them on the bottom cam strap. Then, put the extra money into your next dive trip. A lot of ditchable weight is not necessary since you have redundant buoyancy with your drysuit. The bottom cam strap and the waist strap are fairly close together so the position of the weights shouldn't be an issue. You can still use the same amount of weight with this configuration, while having the enitre waist strap to play with the light. Try this and see if it works.

Lane Zimmer:
What I would do is Ebay the ACB pockets, pick up a pair of trim weight pockets (~$25-$45) and put them on the bottom cam strap. Then, put the extra money into your next dive trip. A lot of ditchable weight is not necessary since you have redundant buoyancy with your drysuit. The bottom cam strap and the waist strap are fairly close together so the position of the weights shouldn't be an issue. You can still use the same amount of weight with this configuration, while having the enitre waist strap to play with the light. Try this and see if it works.

I will. I have some CAM pockets that I used in the past in conjunction with the ACB's. It never occured to me to JUST use those. I could use the 6lb plate, standard STA and two CAM pockets one with 5 and the ohter with 3 (light side) How does that sound?

OR

I could go back to the weighted STA and just use one CAM pocket opposite of the light side wth a 2 ponder. (?)

I would not fuss around with it too much and just wait until your fundamentals. Putting this in that pocket and that in this pocket, etc..is juggling things unneccesarily.

It looks like you have already bought every solution under the sun short of a weight belt and buckle. :wink:

If I was you I'd save the coin and let your fundies instructor get your weighting, trim, ability to reach your gear etc, sorted out with you.

That is part of what you are paying for. :D

CALI68:
I will. I have some CAM pockets that I used in the past in conjunction with the ACB's. It never occured to me to JUST use those. I could use the 6lb plate, standard STA and two CAM pockets one with 5 and the ohter with 3 (light side) How does that sound?

OR

I could go back to the weighted STA and just use one CAM pocket opposite of the light side wth a 2 ponder. (?)

Why compensate for the light on one side? The weight of the light is negligible as far as balance is concerned. Split the difference and go with 4 in each side.

The weighted STA will put more weight forward in your position. If you want something that is more similar to the ACBs, try the trim pockets on the bottom cam buckle.

My setup is almost identical to yours. I have a TLS with 400g underwear and Helios 9/18W, but I need 22 lbs. With an AL80, I use the 6lb plate, weighted STA and 2 pairs of trim pockets. With a steel tank, I'll ditch the weighted STA. I do not have issues with balance even with my Pro 6 canister.

d33ps1x:
I would not fuss around with it too much and just wait until your fundamentals. Putting this in that pocket and that in this pocket, etc..is juggling things unneccesarily.

It looks like you have already bought every solution under the sun short of a weight belt and buckle. :wink:

If I was you I'd save the coin and let your fundies instructor get your weighting, trim, ability to reach your gear etc, sorted out with you.

That is part of what you are paying for. :D

I have a weight belt and buckle too. :)

Ya know, your right.

Lane Zimmer:
Why compensate for the light on one side? The weight of the light is negligible as far as balance is concerned. Split the difference and go with 4 in each side.

The weighted STA will put more weight forward in your position. If you want something that is more similar to the ACBs, try the trim pockets on the bottom cam buckle.

My setup is almost identical to yours. I have a TLS with 400g underwear and Helios 9/18W, but I need 22 lbs. With an AL80, I use the 6lb plate, weighted STA and 2 pairs of trim pockets. With a steel tank, I'll ditch the weighted STA. I do not have issues with balance even with my Pro 6 canister.

Thanks Lane you're a huge help, glad to have you here. Anyway let's get back to the issue. OK so I'll use my weighted STA, PST E7100, 2 CAM pockets with 2lbs in each pocket. That will leave my belt wide open but now what? I think I remember GRATEFULDIVER saying that he put a buckle on first then the Can then another buckle (or soemthing like that) at any rate lets start with wide open waist belt and go from there. How do I get the Can more forward and secure it in place.

I use a tri-glide ... about 4 inches from the plate ... to stop the light from sliding back any farther. I then slide the light into place and secure it with a standard weightbelt buckle (so it doesn't slide off the webbing when I release my harness).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom