Truck crime ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire should really do something other than tell people basically "don't worry about it." It's not good.

Maybe travelers should start bringing bear traps to leave in the floorboards.

If I recall, recently in another thread someone jokingly suggested spiking a Gatorade bottle with a powerful laxative or emetic.

Silly question- what do you do with the truck keys????

Most rental companies only provide the ignition key. (No electronic fob.) I usually attach the key ring to a clip inside my BC pocket. My wife puts the keys in a small Otter Box, along with a credit card and some cash she carries for lunch after diving.

You're supposed to leave it in the ignition so the a thief won't damage the vehicle hot wiring it. I thought everybody knew that.

To avoid damage to your rental car in Bonaire

1) Leave windows down
2) Don't lock the car
3) Leave key in ignition

I was there for 8 days in March and 9 days in July and we just left our cheap shoes, towel and shirt in the truck with the doors unlocked and windows down and dove north and south and never had any issues. If they want the battery or wheel, I guess I will have to worry about that when it happens. The saying is: a bad day on vacation still beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!! Not to mention we at least got a nice dive in!!!!!!

The intended use of the post was to maybe stay away from a site or at a time when you're more likely to have trouble. There are place you can leave the keys in your car on a weekday and not worry.. But I would not park there on a weekend with a guard dog... I've never been to Bonaire... So if someone said " Hey Jim, Make sure your dive at x site is in the afternoon when there's a lot of people around " I'd follow the hint... or Hey Jim, Site z is not worth the risk of something happening ... And yes... I wouldn't want to come out of the water with my rental truck vandalized ..

Jim..

FWIW, during my 8th visit to the island a few weeks ago, my truck was rummaged through and a pair of shorts was taken. As usual, windows were left down and nothing I would have been terribly upset getting stolen was left in it. In 8 visits, it was only the 2nd time (afaik) my rental vehicle was searched during a dive, and the 1st instance of anything in it being stolen. Same pair of shorts used on last several trips. I did later drive up and down the road a bit to see if they had been discarded, but did not find them.

This happened sometime between 17-17h45 at Angel City, a southern site. I had originally planned on diving Salt Pier, but a ship was in dock. When I arrived at the site, there were 2 other vehicles parked there, a Buddy Dive truck and a hatchback. The hatchback's people surfaced and were de-gearing as I was entering the water. I never came across the Buddy Dive people, though both vehicles were gone by the time I resurfaced after a relatively short dive 40 minutes later. As I got to shore, I immediately saw that my truck's doors were ajar, and it was obvious it had been searched.

I would be so nice to have someone hiding in the bushes to give those people a good scare!!!! You know the cops could really get creative if they really wanted to but I guess that's not how they do it in that country. They could do some good set ups and nail them guys. O well, we will just have to keep letting nothing in our trucks.

I don't thnk there is any reliable data on which to base an answer to the OP. Most truck rummaging incidents go unreported so the few that are reported will be a statistically insignificant number.

As for the cops doing a sting, that takes resources they might not have, or might not be willing to devote. Also, the average tourist is there only a week or two and may never be back so the crimes might be low-priority. If the crooks are locals (probably the majority of them are, but I don't know for sure) then the cops must have a good idea who they are, as well as where stolen radios are fenced etc. The island is small. It can't be that hard to figure out if there is a will to do it. Of course, if you are a cop and you pop your second cousin for theft it'll make for an uncomfortable time at the next family get-together!

It always seemed to me that the northern sites were more at risk, because most island residents travel between Rincon and Kralendijk. The trucks are further away from the dive sites and parking areas are surrounded by cover as well.

The southern sites are a longer drive, closer to the entry sites for divers and more open.

Whose to say that all of the theft is perpetrated by residents?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom