Truck crime ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been several reports in recent years of thieves stealing batteries, wheels, gasoline, spare tires, jacks, radios... and occasionally the truck itself... even when the truck was left with doors unlocked and windows down. Admittedly the chances of this occurring to the OP on any particular visit to a given dive site are small, but the chances are greater at some sites than others for the reasons mentioned previously.

I assume that when the OP states concern about avoiding "the risk of a insurance claim" he means the rental company CDW policy deductible of $300 or so. I rent from Telerin and use Amex Premium Rental Insurance Protection insurance coverage, which costs $24.95 for the rental period and has no deductible for full coverage primary insurance. The caveat is that I'm responsible for paying the rental company for damages until I'm reimbursed by Amex. (In other words, it's my insurance, rather than the rental company's.)

My advice: Get good insurance, leave the truck unlocked with no valuables inside, and enjoy your dives wherever you like.

Please read your AMX Premium Rental Ins. plan details carefully....it will NOT cover pickups!

Please read your AMX Premium Rental Ins. plan details carefully....it will NOT cover pickups!

Right back at you pal. Reading the T&C of coverage is a great idea. So is knowing what you're talking about. You could have easily done a little simple online research before challenging my post.

I use Amex Premium Car Rental Protection coverage, and suggested it here, specifically because it does cover pickups and SUVs. I've read the coverage terms carefully, both online and the printed version I received after enrolling. I also reviewed it with my local insurance agent and verified that coverage was acceptable to Poppy at Telerin before renting. (Poppy won't rent out her trucks without collision and damage insurance coverage. It's kind of a business continuity rule.)

You can easily view the coverage basics for yourself at American Express's website.

Here's the pertinent excerpt:
Premium Car Rental Insurance.jpg

From the policy T&C:
"Excluded vehicles include: automobiles that have been customized or modified from themanufacturer's factory specifications, except for driver's assistance equipment for the physically challenged; any rented vehicle used for hire or commercial purposes; antique cars (cars over 20 years old or cars that have not been manufactured for over 10 years); limousines; off-road vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, mopeds, recreational vehicles, golf or motorized carts, campers, moving trucks or moving vans, and trailers."

Do note that most credit-card provided insurance does NOT cover damage associated with the vehicle being used "off road" and consider the fact that for the vast majority of Bonaire dive sites... the last 50-100yds of the drive is actually "off road." Also, the entirety of the park would be excluded.

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

I've been using the AMEX insurance on my belief there's a reasonable argument that the last few yards before parking is not "off road" just unpaved road.

Do note that most credit-card provided insurance does NOT cover damage associated with the vehicle being used "off road" and consider the fact that for the vast majority of Bonaire dive sites... the last 50-100yds of the drive is actually "off road." Also, the entirety of the park would be excluded.

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

This applies to the Amex PCRP insurance too, but only if off-road driving is the action that directly results in the claim. (E.g. damage to the vehicle due to off-road driving.) Driving on dirt or gravel roads, such as in the park, is not the same as driving off-road. It's just driving on dirt roads. The parking areas at some southern dive sites probably qualify as off-road, but here's not much risk of vehicle damage occurring there due to driving. Except for those idiots I see every year wearing saltwater-soaked wetsuits while driving rental trucks through the saltwater tide pools between the paved road and shore. These are often the same people who later complain when parts of the truck start to fall off due to excessive rust. Unfortunately you can't insure stupidity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom