True & frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to start a flame war about this agency vs that, but how do you know that the instr. teaching out of his basement is upholding the agency standards? Ya know, apart from him giving you his word.

About the same way you k now the one teaching through a shop is -- you don't. Or are you assuming that the shop management will insure standards are followed????

While I didn't mean to aim at the Agency at all, it is PADI anyway; in fact I do like their training programs & supporting materials (books, videos,...etc). I only wanted to sharre my thoughts; let's put it this way: a DM is perceiving students and/or divers as consumers, deliver the service (assuming integrity & goodwill), say goodbye. Or another that divers may call him up out of business context looking for a buddy. Which is a better DM?
Never meant to think about standards but I think if an independent instructor will relax standards; there are little guarantee, if any, that he won't if affiliated with a dive centre.

Let's throw out one more synonym that might taste a bit better. At the divemaster level or above, divers can often be viewed as clients.

Let's throw out one more synonym that might taste a bit better. At the divemaster level or above, divers can often be viewed as clients.
that is exactly why I feel frustrated..:shakehead:

Not to start a flame war about this agency vs that, but how do you know that the instr. teaching out of his basement is upholding the agency standards? Ya know, apart from him giving you his word.

If you can't have a small amount of trust in your instructors they shouldn't be your instructors.

Why would the owner/operator of a dive store be more trustworthy to a training agency? There is NO logical reason they would be.

that is exactly why I feel frustrated..:shakehead:

why? Look it is a divers choice to take training to become certified as a "Dive Professional/leadership" level. It isn't unrealistic to expect they would once completed said training start to consider divers as clients.

why? Look it is a divers choice to take training to become certified as a "Dive Professional/leadership" level. It isn't unrealistic to expect they would once completed said training start to consider divers as clients.
coz it is somewhat restrictive; you have to watch your tongue, joke/talk with a limit & certain manner, wear "certain" gear, .... I don't want to say that I feel the fun is over as you start to dive for money.

coz it is somewhat restrictive; you have to watch your tongue, joke/talk with a limit & certain manner, wear "certain" gear, .... I don't want to say that I feel the fun is over as you start to dive for money.

im still not sure for what your looking.

How much do DM's make in their role as professionals in this business serving customers/clients?

:)

Are they really in business, or still making donations?

I can ask the same about instructors and a lot of shop owners.

....you have to watch your tongue, joke/talk with a limit & certain manner, wear "certain" gear, ....

Well, what's wrong with that? How is it any different than going to the office? I certainly don't interact with my co-workers the same way I do my friends and casual acquaintances. Starting with DM, you're moving to professional diving. Why would you NOT expect it to change?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom