True story.......................

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also taught in OW the same technique, was told this would help too if water was to come in around the reg or snorkel it would be blocked some by the tongue enabling one to exhale forcing water out better. However that said I will say it will not help if water gets in your mask and it is then inhaled down your nose into your airway. I did experience that and I now know I can clear it by coughing. It was a scarey and almost panic time for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience IG.

Bottoms up....Bubbles up!
Cindy

Nobody to blame but yourself.... :wink:
Tell the truth...You LIKE drinking sea water...don't you?
There can be only one,
The Gasman.

than a good ole Saline Shot with a twist of lime, to get your day going!

Hi Don.

I am not sure what you mean Don. If you read my last post i explained that i learned airway control as did all the PADI instructors and countless other number of divers from other forums. My point was that (according to the new PADI manual all the instructors i know and around 40 or 50 divers on other forums) you shouldnt be breathing with your tongue partially blocking the mouthpiece unless you had water in your regulator. The point of putting your tongue there is for it to act as a "splash guard" so you dont swallow water. There is no mention of breathing with your tongue partially blocking the mouthpiece when your regulator is functioning normally. If you were to breath like this all the time while underwater then you would almost surely increase the concentration of CO2 in your system. Maybe i missed something or i am going down the wrong road Don, either way lemme know because i am keen to learn. Perhaps some of the instructors need a refresher course, i doubt that , most of them teach diving in the Royal Navy. Don I arnt sure that any sort of airway control would have solved your problem in the situation you described. Can we have some more feedback from other divers please, i am keen to learn more, since that is why this thread was started, right?

PS: Don from your replies after my last post you seem a little upset, did i offend you in any way? or you for that matter Greg? Greg are you suggesting that "I" think Dons unfortunate incident was his own fault. I just think that such sneaky sarcastic comments lowers the tone and makes for an awkward atmosphere for other people wanting to add to the conversation.

Frog,
I agree with everything you just said 100%.

Frog

You gotta know how to take Don, he just has his was of expressing himself and means no harm. Gasman will not let a chance pass to put in funny remark :D nor will I, for that matter, but he certainly meant no disparagement. These are divers, they need to be taken with a grain of salt (pun intended :D)

But back to airway control: I also learned in OWD to use my tongue as a splash guard. My question to the well-versed divers among you all: do you REALLY breathe this way all the time? I just imagine it be extremely uncomfortable, and my mom would say "Stop that or your face will freeze that way".

I am off into the murky waters of Lake Constance tomorrow, and am gonna try it out. I am interested to see how comfortable it is.

Frog, when I get back, I will let you know how it worked out.

gozu-triestokeephertongueinhermouth-guzzi

I didn't even have you in mind when I made that remark,nor would I need to do that.I make my own conversations and was just having a crack at Don and he obviously took it in the spirit with which it was intended.This is a Scuba Board and not an Insult board.If it was intended for you,then I'll put your name on it.OK? :peace:
Cheers Big Ears,
The Gasman

Frog,

Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I should have, I use the method described in the manual. I do not stick my tongue in the hole. (take that and run with it). I use airway control all the time. It comes in real handy when you are around a lot of students and newbies.
No harm intended, no harm taken.

ID

As with HeadsUp, I also recently took the rescue course. We didn't do the same exercise as described, but during the panicked diver training, my regulator was knocked out, and I really did immediately grab for my octo. Mental and visualization practise is a good thing for these situations, because since it's difficult to practise on purpose, having rehersed in you mind what you'd do really does help when it really happens. This kind of practise works for all our diving skills.

-Simon

Thank you very much for this post!!! I am a newbie and will be very cautious about this situation.

Pam

Back
Top Bottom