Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 4 dives prior to my 5th dive the light was intermittent on land. I thought there might have been salt in the contacts of the magnetic switch. I soaked it for a while but it still didn't help. I switched the battery, clean the battery contacts, cleaned the magnetic switch but no improvement. I re-soldered the emitter wires, didn't help.

I noticed that it worked facing down but not horizontal or facing upwards. - Gravity. Something was rattling in the head. I took the whole head apart. The aluminum ring that holds the CREE emitter was loose. I tightened it and the rattling was gone. The light works fine again.

Don't know how it would get loose, I suspect it was rushed during assembly.

Had the exact same problem with mine. It was ok for a few dives then started to develop an intermittent flicker.

After pulling the head apart and cranking down the silver retaining ring it has been fine ever since. I have a second trustfire on it's way to me now. On this one I will pre-emptively torque down the retaining ring before it gets wet for the first time.

For fresh water dives, I break the light down, clean it, re-lube and reassemble it every couple weeks. ( About 5 - 10 dives ) For salt water, I would do it more often.

It seems prudent to be confident in the condition of all the seals.

My only question in all this is if after a couple years the seals seem questionable, where do you find replacements? Or should I just assume there will be a cooler, newer, brighter, longer lasting light by then and just throw it away?

Well, I meant I just soaked it in fresh water to get the salt off. I did not loosen anything then soak it. I think the light is the same intensity, still blinds me.

great little light for the price.

thinking on make a difusser for it with the crown screw on piece that i took off.
this way i can take it on and off when i use it for video with my gopro or not. will post some pic when i get it made.

great little light for the price.

thinking on make a difusser for it with the crown screw on piece that i took off.
this way i can take it on and off when i use it for video with my gopro or not. will post some pic when i get it made.

A diffuser won't be enough to make it good for video. Its beam is too narrow.

A diffuser won't be enough to make it good for video. Its beam is too narrow.

Yeah I know but its better than not having one at all. I only plan on using it when in dark areas when im filming. I have already played with a few options and makes a HUGE difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Here's an update:

rearcap.jpg

The edges of the hole for the lanyard might be a bit too sharp. I recently had BOTH of my bolt snaps sheared off from the lights when the cave line got cut by the edges. Took a dremel and 'softened' the edge a bit so hopefully it'll be gentler on the cave line. Good thing my bungees held the lights in place!

Hi,

I am new to the forum and i love this lamp. I just started diving and i didn't want to spend loads of money for a lamp.
Now i have two of them and just recently replaced the emitter with a warm white led. Now i have a stock one for hazy waters and a more romantic one for night dives in clear water.

12717520yj.jpg

Attachments

• warmcold.jpg
    warmcold.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 398
Hi,

I am new to the forum and i love this lamp. I just started diving and i didn't want to spend loads of money for a lamp.
Now i have two of them and just recently replaced the emitter with a warm white led. Now i have a stock one for hazy waters and a more romantic one for night dives in clear water.

Where did you get the emitter at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom