Trying Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like how the second video shows the preview screen of one person kneeling in doubles on the sand and the other standing. That's sending the right message...

Totally agree. Why do people do that on a website? The message it sends me is they don't have a clue and should be avoided at all costs.

Sometimes, when I grumble about having spent the morning watching 'trained' 'tec' 'divers' stumbling through a perfectly simple dive, my partner points out, with impeccable logic, that if I'm so unhappy with what I'm seeing I should become a tec instructor and try to make it better.

Bit of a hijack, but I have often thought that one day I would like to teach tec, but the way that the system works, you have go all the way through the recreational training hierarchy first, and I don't ever see myself having the time or patience to do that.

I have never understood the logic of that requirement. I used to teach law at University - no one made me qualify as a kindergarten teacher first. I can't see why teaching people how to clear their masks should be a pre-requisite for teaching valve drills to experienced divers.

Where is Doppler when I need to whine about the TDI system...

Bit of a hijack...

Where is Doppler when I need to whine about the TDI system...

We need to talk... on the phone/Skype! :cool2:

Reactions: Jax
We need to talk... on the phone/Skype! :cool2:

Still hoping I might be able to catch up with you in Grenada in October - I can bend your ear at length then!

:focus:

Teaching someone how to switch regs and do valve drills while kneeling on the bottom is "tec" ???

Sounds like a real money-maker to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I personally don't see anything wrong with the concept, as long as expectations are properly managed...and, that is all up to the facility/instructor...as it is with all levels of training. GrimSleeper made a comment about trained tec divers stumbling thru a simple dive...and, guess what...if this is a new program, what he saw was before such "discover tec" programs...which reinforces my point above. I would have to actually witness what is being conveyed to the participants before I would be willing to criticize the program.

Teaching someone how to switch regs and do valve drills while kneeling on the bottom is "tec" ???

Sounds like a real money-maker to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I didn't see any claims of it "being tec"...merely some very basic exposure to some of the equipment and techniques involved in tech diving. IMO, conveying to the participants that they are now full tec divers after such a program, would be tantamount to negligent homicide.

Can't really see the problem of demonstrating valve drills kneeling. It's a complex skill which requires the students utmost attention. For clarity it makes sense that the instructor is not moving and can show all the critical attributes of the skill. Most of the tech instructors I've met demo this on their knees, even at the trimix level.

Can't really see the problem of demonstrating valve drills kneeling. It's a complex skill which requires the students utmost attention. For clarity it makes sense that the instructor is not moving and can show all the critical attributes of the skill. Most of the tech instructors I've met demo this on their knees, even at the trimix level.

Ooh...for actual tech training, there's no "bottom" involved in our shop's programs...unless you count staying off it. :wink:

i like the idea of padi tec cards mill if it means more tec dives available in vacation spots

fwiw, kneeling is just the padi way. in my last padi class the dm knelt on a platform while i hovered in trim for the skills. wish someone had taken a picture.

in real life, most diving is not inside a cave or wreck so not everything has to be done midwater. that said, a competent diver ought to be able to do skills midwater and its great practice for buoyancy while tasked. somone aspiring to tech needs to be able to perform the skills while maintaining position in mid water. emergencies can happen on stops too, not just at the bottom, then what do you do?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom